Freedom 40/40

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.
lansing

Freedom 40/40

Post by lansing »

Interested in a Freedom 40/40. Anyone have any insight into them? How do they sail? Point? In light wind? Any information on this boat would be appreciated. Thanks.

GeoffSchultz

Re: Freedom 40/40

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have a 40/40 that I've put over 40,000 miles on. As long as it's well cared for, it will get you through anything. If you have a camber spar, you'll find that the boat is wonderful down-wind running wing on wing. The only issue with a camber spar is that you have to go forward to drop the jib and you're limited to a 100% jib. The boat points well, tacking through about 110 degrees true. You'll find that it's a very fast boat. When we'd sail with other boats of similar size and were doing overnight passages, we'd typically leave 1-2 hours later than them and arrive before hand. Our boat's name is BlueJacket, but we often rename her to The Blue Streak. :-)

You'll also find that there's a ton of storage, which, if you cruise, will be the envy of other boats. The cabinetry is first class and well laid out.

Person after person who's sailed on BlueJacket has commented what a wonderful boat she is. If you get one, you won't be disappointed. Which boat are you looking at and what's the asking price?

-- Geoff

P.S. See my web site for lots of information on our travels.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

DaysailorJ

Post by DaysailorJ »

I also have a Freedom 40/40. Mine is a 1995, and I have the roller furling jib set-up. While I don't have the kind of sea miles on her that Blue Jacket has amassed, I have sailed her a good bit over the past five years, and I can add to Geoffrey's endorsement. The hull and systems are solid and fairly good-looking, IMHO. I think the design provides a good balance for offshore and coastal use. ( I especailly appreciate that I can stand up in the main cabin, as I am 6' 5"). Like many boats in this class, the quality of the joinery and components was driving the production price beyond what was competitive, but you can feel the difference when you are spend time on her. Please feel free to contact me for further details...

lansing

Post by lansing »

We're thinking of looking at one in Jersey City, NJ (on yachtworld.com). Haven't looked at it yet. Trying to get some information beforehand. It looks very interesting. Spoke to Mark Edwards at the RI boat show. He seems very knowledgeable about the Freedoms. I've heard that Freedoms aren't very good in light air (which we have alot of on LI Sound, NY) but seems like the 40/40 is not your typical Freedom. We want a comfortable boat but a fast boat too - I know, that's what everyone wants. Any pros or cons about it would be appreciated. Thanks for your resonses.

DaysailorJ

Post by DaysailorJ »

I sailed in the Rhode Island area primarily, until coming to Puerto Rico two years ago, so I had a lot of days with light air. My experience has been that the F40/40 is most comfortable in the 12-18 kts wind range, but she will keep moving in anything above 5-6 kts., especially when flying the chute. If you are looking at Star Dancer, which was Freedom Owner Pedrick's own boat, she should be slightly lighter due to the hull lay-up process, as I'm sure Mark explained. She also seems to have a full sail inventory, so you should be good for light air work.

If you are planning to race her, you would probably be hard-pressed to sail to your rating on some of those light LI sound afternoons, and obviously the weight of the hull leans you toward the cruiser side of the racer/cruiser equation, but I have never felt like I was on a sluggish boat.

John