F21 Spinnaker and Staysail wanted

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.
mstmartin

F21 Spinnaker and Staysail wanted

Post by mstmartin »

Hi All,

Looking for used (preferred) or new Spin and Staysail for my recently purchased F21 1984. Does anyone have any info? Thanks!

Michael

Teke's Pride

Re: F21 Spinnaker and Staysail wanted

Post by Teke's Pride »

My original staysail wore out and I got Schurr Sails of Pensacola, FL to make me a new one out of Dimension Polyant CZ 5 carbon fiber. Great price performance.

As I have been racing my Freedom 21 for seven years now, I'm on my third spinnaker. For price, I went with a Rolly Tasker (made in Thailand) from National Sail Supply in Florida. It performed well but the center retrieval grommet was cheaply made and tended to pull out of the sail. I reenforced it twice before the sail wore out and needed replacement. My newest spinnaker is just over a year old, and I decided to buy American. Mack Sails of Stuart, FL has prices almost as low as Rolly Tasker. They specialize in blue water cruising sails and are probably over built for our boats. I love the tuff construction but the head and clew reinforcements are too stiff to easily slide into the launch sleeve.

I can highly recommend both Schurr and Mack. I had a falling out with Schurr over the design of my flathead mainsail (they insisted on 6 battens instead of 5) so changed to Mack, but I have no problems with their quality or price.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

mstmartin

Post by mstmartin »

Hi Clark and all,

Thanks very much for your suggestions on sails! As you mentioned racing, I wanted to ask a few questions. Our race captain says that they might not have a fleet to race a Freedom 21 in. although I don't think he knows much about the boat other than it's a cat boat. The 2 possible fleets look like this:

1. Catalina 27 HC=210, Pearson 26 HC= 213, S2 27 HC=183, S2 8.6 HC=205, Catalina 27 HC= 201, Hunter 28 HC=195
2. J22 HC= 177, Olson 25 HC= 165, Wavelength HC=165, J-30 HC= 138, Capri 25 HC= 174, Olson 30, HC=105

Can you tell me what your HC is? I found the PHRF paper that Gary Holt put together and he rates an F21 main only with 257. Do you have an idea if I would be able to compete with the first fleet if I got a Spinnaker and stay sail? The race captain says that even with the adjusted HC, I might not want to be coming in dead last every race. We race on Lake Grapevine outside of Dallas TX.

Any thoughts on this? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anyone else out there with thoughts on racing? Thanks!

Michael

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

I only use my staysail for cruising. IMHO it is not worth the 12 points of handicap you loose to be faster in 3-8 knots of wind. My club will not start a race in less than 3 knots of wind. If it isn't blowing at least 5, I don't leave the dock.

Here is the link to the base handicaps:
http://www.phrfne.org/page/handicapping/base_handicaps
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Guntersville, AL

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

You should ask if your club ever runs a pursuit race. In pursuit racing the boat with the highest handicap starts first and the rest of the fleet starts as their handicap expires. In theory, the fleet finishes together. It is a fun change of pace and the "slower boats" get a chance to lead the race (at least for a while). My home club, BCSA, runs three of these a year.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Guntersville, AL