A unique opportunity - 1986 Freedom 36/38 for sale

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.

A unique opportunity - 1986 Freedom 36/38 for sale

Postby RadioZephyr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Hello all,

In an unexpected twist, I'm about to put my boat on the market, and I wanted to put it up here first. Last fall I left my boat in RI for a massive refit, overseen by Paul Dennis at WRB. This included a new ceiling/headliner, all new hatches, new handrails, new masthead, new rudder bearings, new rigid boom vang, all new cushions, new engine (!) and a whole bunch of other stuff. However, earlier this week, Paul let me know about a much newer F38 that he heard of which was available for quite a steal. He suggested I buy it, move all my newer equipment over, swap the engines, and sell my boat. I went and saw the new boat, made an offer, and it was accepted yesterday. Pending financing, this plan is happening. My original goal was to finish the refit on my boat in time to sail back home to Boston the last week in April, and I'm still hoping to stick to that schedule with this new boat, so I'm looking to get this all done pretty fast.

So here's the deal: I'm going to take everything I possibly can from my boat over to the new one, and do enough to get my boat back to basic sailing condition. Right now, that means putting in an engine (the 1993 Yanmar from the new boat), re-hanging the rudder and installing the new rudder bearing that Paul had made, putting the new ceiling back in, installing the masthead and mast wiring harness from the new boat, and putting the rope clutches back in, now that the area underneath them has been re-glassed. Here's a list of the upgrades from this refit and equipment that will be staying with the boat:

-New rudder bearing
-New Tides dripless shaft seal
-New Cutless bearing
-New engine control cables
-New Bomar hatches, 3x
-New Beckson portlights 2x (I have 2 more for the head, but they're not installed)
-All new cushions that were just finished a couple weeks ago. This one stings the most.
-New 2" SounDown soundproofing in the engine compartment
-New ceiling panels and headliner for the entire boat
-New PlasTEAK handrails (only one is installed at the moment)
-New custom machined mast ring (goes underneath the mast collar on deck)
-New Dutchman flaking system (installed by Doyle last year)
-New Doyle sail cover for main, with zippers for Dutchman lines
-All the floor panels that Paul Dennis repaired/re-glued
-St. Croix removable dinghy davits

There's probably more, but this is what I can come up with off the top of my head. There are also a bunch of projects that Paul had not yet completed, but could easily do for whoever ends up buying the boat (I have a list of quotes from him).

As far as what I'm taking from the boat, here's a list of the major stuff:

-Raymarine instruments
-Raymarine autopilot
-Pedestal guard and instrument pod at helm
-Steering idler and cables (installed last season)
-Harken traveler car, end controls, and control lines
-Seafrost fridge
-Balmar smart voltage regulator
-Echomax radar reflector

I will replace whatever I take with stuff from the new boat, when possible. Here's what would be coming from the new boat:

-Autohelm instruments
-Autohelm 7000 autopilot (though I might keep the drive unit)
-Edson 1" pedestal guard
-Standard Edson idler (not the newer aluminum one), steering cables/chain
-Original Harken traveler car and end controls
-1993 Yanmar 3GM30F
-Seafrost engine drive fridge (installed on engine)

Apart from the engine and traveler, I will not be installing any of this stuff for the new owner. It will come off the new boat and be transferred to the old boat ASAP, and the buyer can install it themselves (or have Paul do it). The engine will be professionally installed, aligned, and in working condition.

As you can see, this is not exactly a "turnkey" situation, and I'll be pricing the boat to reflect that. However, for the right person, this is a great opportunity to get an excellent boat with a bunch of new stuff for well below market value. If you're willing to undertake a few installations yourself, it's an incredible deal. Most important, it could easily be ready in time for the coming season.

This post is just to gauge interest at this point, so I'm not going to get into a long description of the boat and its equipment and stuff. It's a great boat; if you're interested, get in touch and I can provide more details.

-Josh

IMG_8748 (1).jpg
Deep draft F36/38
IMG_8748 (1).jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 628 times

IMG_8962.jpg
Pre-Dutchman
IMG_8962.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 628 times

IMG_0001.jpg
Under sail
IMG_0001.jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Josh
F36/38, Hull #25
Boston, MA
RadioZephyr

Re: A unique opportunity - 1986 Freedom 36/38 for sale

Postby mdedionisio » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Are you buying Duet?

Mark
mdedionisio

Postby RadioZephyr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 pm

mdedionisio wrote:Are you buying Duet?

That’s the plan.
Josh
F36/38, Hull #25
Boston, MA
RadioZephyr

Postby yarrow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 pm

what is your asking price for this boat?
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI
yarrow

Postby RadioZephyr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I was planning to list it at $35k, but there's some leeway there, depending on what's included and a couple other factors.
Josh
F36/38, Hull #25
Boston, MA
RadioZephyr

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade