Single handling F36

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
brico

Single handling F36

Post by brico »

Hi,

How many of you regularly or often single hand F36 or larger of Freedom sailboats? I own an F36 for just over a month and can very easily handle her under motor power due to large rudder and MaxProp foldable propeller giving the person handling the boat extra maneuverability in almost any condition. When it comes to sail handling I find it somewhat of a work-out to lower and stow the mainsail.

With one of the two aluminum footholds attached to the mast missing i find it difficult to climb up high enough to be able to easily attach the main halyard to the main sail head.

Once i lower the mainsail (dead upwind) i find it somewhat of a work-out to properly stow and secure it.

How do majority here tackle these issues on Freedom sailboats.

Regards/Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Michel

Re: Single handling F36

Post by Michel »

I had an F33/35 and now an F44. Note that both are cat ketches with wishbones, so the sails are smaller and stow themselves inside the wishbone with cradle lines. I do a lot of single handing, and any boat will need adaptations to make singlehanding easy. I changed lots of things over the years to make life easy, like changed traveller control lines and mainsheet clutch positions.

Do you have workable lazyjacks? If not, it's worth it to install a good system. And why not put the two missing maststeps back on? If your sail is too heavy to hoist, you might double up the halyard or get some kind of electric winch. Perhaps you can use the anchor windlass to hoist your main? A Dutchman stowing system might be something to consider; this makes lowering the sail easier.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I have a 36/38 and single hand her all the time. You should put on the other step, and lazy jacks are needed (I would love to have a mack pack). With the gun mount chute you can even jibe that from the cockpit.
An auto pilot helps but is not necessary for a day sail.
Plan you moves well in advance, and leave yourself an out in case of a screw up, but that is needed all the time.
Take the sail covers off before leaving the mooring and put on the halyards as well.
When time to raise the sails, you will just have to go up and take off the sail ties.
I put a bit on an electric drill to raise the main, a poor man's electric winch.
In strong winds, tack her around rather than jibing.
Good luck.

brico

Post by brico »

Guys,

thank you for advice and suggestions. I do have lazy jacks but have to remember to lift the boom a bit and tighten them up before lowering the main sail. I bought the boat with the dodger damaged by dropped boom?! I doubt that i can install the dutchman flaking system as there is no topping lift and even if there is one main sail has a very large roach and the topping lift would be in the way. I am seriously considering installing the rigid boom vang to control the boom vertically. Has anyone attempted to extend/ move further aft the lazy jacks to catch more of the main sail when dropping it down. I am looking into buying the 28V cordless Milwaukee drill to help raise the main sail. I've heard of people going round rather than jibing in stronger winds. What sort of wind speed are you thinking off? Would the boom preventer help?

regards/Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Petar;

I did speak with the Dutchman rep at the Newport boat show. He did say that he had successfully installed the system in F36/38s. If I recall the all in cost was around $1k.

I use the big right angle milwaukee drill with great pleasure and success. I get around 3-4 sail raises on a charge. It recharges very quickly on the boat's 110 outlet. Couldn't be happier.

Yes, fighting that big main on the boom is a pain in the stern. I so want to end up with a beautifully flaked sail but it ends up looking like (when the sail cover is on) like a boa constrictor eating a pig. Not as seaman like as I would like to do.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Mike Holibar

Post by Mike Holibar »

Ed, when you say 3-4 hoists is that 1 sail 3-4 times or both. I am using the same drill and can just manage two hoists (main twice and foresail twice) and it seems pretty hard on the drill. I like Michel's idea of using the capstan.
Best regards,
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

4 main hoists was my memory, I sometimes do the jib the old fashioned way. I'll check carefully this weekend.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I singlehand a 39 Express regularly, planning is the key to handling the large sails alone and safely. It is also easier to singlehand, at least the 39 express, once you realizer that she does not like to be overpowered and is faster after you shorten sail. Last year age sent me to the battery operated drill for raising sails, cost sent me to a Bosch 18 Volt lithium drill which work just fine (650 in/lbs) and will raise main and mizzen twice each on a charge, my kit came with two batteries. For sails coming down, after many attempts at modifying the Lazy Jacks by reposition an adding lines I went to fixed wings on each side at the end of the boom to catch the ends of the sail. A line is run from the end of the wing up to the lazy jack at the block but left loose. The intent is to keep the sail on top of the boom and not bending sharply at the last lazy jack attachment point, much kinder on the battens also. I found that extending the lazy jacks to the end of the boom without the wings made the area to narrow for the sails to flake smoothly.

brico

Post by brico »

jdpandlp wrote:I singlehand a 39 Express regularly, planning is the key to handling the large sails alone and safely. It is also easier to singlehand, at least the 39 express, once you realizer that she does not like to be overpowered and is faster after you shorten sail. Last year age sent me to the battery operated drill for raising sails, cost sent me to a Bosch 18 Volt lithium drill which work just fine (650 in/lbs) and will raise main and mizzen twice each on a charge, my kit came with two batteries. For sails coming down, after many attempts at modifying the Lazy Jacks by reposition an adding lines I went to fixed wings on each side at the end of the boom to catch the ends of the sail. A line is run from the end of the wing up to the lazy jack at the block but left loose. The intent is to keep the sail on top of the boom and not bending sharply at the last lazy jack attachment point, much kinder on the battens also. I found that extending the lazy jacks to the end of the boom without the wings made the area to narrow for the sails to flake smoothly.
I am not sure I fully understand "fixed wings" on your lazy jacks arrangement? Can you make a sketch of this and share with me/us to better understand the arrangement.

Thanks and best regards/petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Free B

Post by Free B »

I singlehand an F35 regularly...5 seasons into the adventure, I made a few changes that have helped greatly....converted my main winch to power, installed a windlass with wireless remote, added a Leisurefurl boom/main, furling jib... Of course, all these improvements implies I am keeping her a bit longer....

My objective was to never have to leave the cockpit - and I don't...