America's Cup Newport RI

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
Craig

America's Cup Newport RI

Post by Craig »

Is anyone planning to head to Newport for the America's Cup trials.
We are hoping to get there on our Freedom 40/40 ReJoyce.
Just had our first sail yesterday, and it was even better than I remember.
Post here if you think you might go- perhaps a rendezvous.
Craig

yarrow

Re: America's Cup Newport RI

Post by yarrow »

yes I will be their, not sure if my F25 will be in the water by then.
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

Meltemi

Post by Meltemi »

I'll be there. I'm in Newport anyway.

I've been following the AC and, ironically, probably the best place to view the races will be from shore at Ft Adams. The cats are so fast, the races so short (20 minutes) and there will be no visable rounding marks. The course course and any course changes will be transmitted to the boats digitally. With no rounding marks if you are on the water you won't have any idea where the boats are going when they blast around at 20+ knots. The course will be shown electronicly on the big screen TV on shore at Ft Adams - like the yellow line of scrimmage line on TV for football.

Kinda weird if you ask me.
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI

moosemcclintock

Post by moosemcclintock »

The marks are plenty visible, they're boats with flags up, no big difference there. What you can't see are the boundaries of the edges of the course but that will be sectioned off by support boats anyhow. If you want to watch from the water you would have to fan around the course they have set, minding the keep off boats as being as close as you can get, I think positioning yourself at the leeward gates would give you the best opportuity to see a lot of the action.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I am thinking of anchoring at Dutch harbor, walking across and grabbing the ferry so I can beat the crowds.
Anyone else have ideas?

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

My wife and I will be driving up and we'll be staying in town at a the Sarah Kendall House B&B near Storer Park on Wed and Thu June 26 and 27. Might be fun to meet some of you folks in person! Send me a private message if you'd like to meet up.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake