Long Range Cruising

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
Acadia Traveler

Long Range Cruising

Post by Acadia Traveler »

My first post. I am researching the CK 28's and 33's. I cruised 10k miles on a solid hull 38' Taiwan built boat in the early 90's and have been out of the cruising game since (busy raising a family). The last of the kids will be in college soon and I am ready to head back out! I have read all I can regarding the Freedoms and feel they are ideal for a single hander with occasional guests. My hesitations are regarding the cored hulls and CF masts. I wanted to ask those who have refit and/or cruised the smaller CK's. Is it easy to find replacement Aluminum masts if needed? Do all older cored boats suffer from at least some de-lamination? How hard is it to tackle the repair of de-lamination? How do you find them to be as long term cruising boats? This one is kind of random but, do CK's hobby horse going to windward because of the mast being so far forward? My plans are to cruise as far north as Newfoundland, south to the Caribbean on a seasonal basis for a while and then venture further if the desire is there. Thanks for your input!
John

CaptLen

Re: Long Range Cruising

Post by CaptLen »

Cored hulls are done differently by different manufacturers, and if you read the Practical Sailor review in "documents" section you see they say they don't like cored hulls, but if anyone can do it right....
T-P was clever- they ended coring away from the hull-deck joint, and in the hull they didn't have coring where through hulls go, so the problem of sealants wearing out and core getting wet was eliminated. If damaged physically (collision or storm) the outr skin is removed, coring is replaced, and new outer skin made. Other than physical damage I have never heard of a Fredom delaminati g (anyone else know of any?)
I'm not going to be mich help on your other questions, though. Good luck and happy sailing

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Hello John,
I own both a F28 cat ketch and a F33 cat ketch. For the type of sailing you described, the F33CK is the way to go. Both boats are easy to single hand. The F33 CK sails nicely at any wind angle. I found, in a chop, the F28ck tends to stall going to windward, while the F33ck cuts nicely through the waves. Wet balsa core is a concern, but detectable and repairable.
Size wise, the 33 has what feels like twice the volume down below than the 28.
Happy hunting
Jim D

Acadia Traveler

Post by Acadia Traveler »

Thanks to you both for responding. I am sold on the design and I hope to find the right candidate by next spring. I will be racing on the east cost this summer so I will get so see a few for sale I hope.
Thanks again,
John