Huyt 32 tender

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
Davidu

Huyt 32 tender

Post by Davidu »

Good morning everyone. I am shopping for a tender on my hoyt 32. I was wondering if any other owners of this model had any insight for me?

any help would be appreciated.

gulfcoastsailor

Re: Huyt 32 tender

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

I chose the 8' Porta Bote and teamed it up with a Nissan 3.5. Both are an easy store and manageable.
It won't take the football team water skiing, but it serves me well.

https://www.porta-bote.com/
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

Davidu

Post by Davidu »

I assume you keep it folded up on deck when your travelling. How big a deal is folding it up or unfolding and launching from anchor?

do you cruise or daysail?

have you tried anything else before settling on the portaboat?

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

We've been using a Dyer Dhow 9 for last couple years. We tow her, and have had no issues, almost can't tell it's back there when motoring or under sail.

We had an older RIB for a season which did not tow well, tended to nose down and drag noticeably.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

Davidu

Post by Davidu »

Does anyone have any experience with a folding RIB?

that has just come up on my searching as well.

Davidu

Post by Davidu »

tnltracy wrote:We've been using a Dyer Dhow 9 for last couple years. We tow her, and have had no issues, almost can't tell it's back there when motoring or under sail.

We had an older RIB for a season which did not tow well, tended to nose down and drag noticeably.

did you ever try putting the dyer on the deck? or was it just towing?

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

"have you tried anything else before settling on the portaboat?"

No, it is the first and only tender used. Mostly, I day-sail without the tender from a dock. When over-nighting I have only towed it. The extra benefit of folding/storing it on the deck have not been used yet, but it will be next year. The smaller engine fits nicely on board.
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

A bit late to respond to this thread - I use a 6ft Barrow Boat with the wheel taken off. It can be rowed, motored and sailed. It fits nicely between the main track and the mast and fits under the kicker
Attachments
IMG_3035 (1).jpg
IMG_3035 (1).jpg (159.31 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
IMG_3022 (2).jpg
IMG_3022 (2).jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

sforgey1

Post by sforgey1 »

On our Freedom 32
We use an inflatable - store it in Lazarette - just didn't seem to find anywhere convenient to keep a tender without davits.

As an aside - Loved the wood deck...what did you use and how did you do it? My deck could use some work, thinking this may be a great option.

Thanks

Scott

s/v Girlfriend -
Scott Forgey
Ft. Lauderdale & San Jose
Girlfriend - Hoyt 32 - 1985 Hull #81

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Hi Scott

Sorry I missed the question... so a year later.

So I used Dek-King a synthetic teak. I find it is cool to the feet and seems to keep the cabin cooler too. An original owner had covered the entire topsides in a garage paint and it was horrible. It took me over 100 hours to get the paint off but the end result is definitely worth it. It grips better and looks nicer.

I did think about putting the same stuff on the cabin top too but in the end I used kiwi grip up there and masked it off to try and mimic the original look of tread master pads.

The key to putting the Deck_king on is spending time on the templates. Putting it on can then be done in a day by a pro two days by someone like me.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.