Treasure Island Rendezvous

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
gamayun

Re: Treasure Island Rendezvous

Post by gamayun »

BillSmith wrote:We are ready to go, BUT...

Prepping the numbers for the trip and estimating an arrival time, reread the various reports of depth soundings at Clipper Cove. Ugh!

SweeTART drafts 6'6". Everything I'm reading says the indicated depths in the cove translate more to high tide than actual MLLW. Ugh!

Knew that we had to hug the starboard side of entrance and might ground in mud at low tide. After more research, not confident there is sufficient depth to maneuver given our deeper draft. Anyone have experience floating a deeper keel into Clipper Cove?
Bill, I kept Kynntana at TI for more than a year in 2015. She draws 5.5'. Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone #, if you'd like more detail. The key is to come in at high tide. I would not be able to come in when it was any less than 0' tidal height at TI. It will be 5.61' at at 0917 on Saturday. You should be fine in the morning and even at lowest tide (2.17' at 1446), but I would not push it that late. You also need to HUG the big pier on the way in and then make a beeline for the TISC dock. Do not cut the corners here! I would even make a little curve inside the cove between the big pier and TISC's dock at low tide, but you should be fine if you come in around or before noon. There is one muddy bump in this section, but it's only an issue when you're trying to navigate at the lowest height you can manage. I used to rock the keel to get through this spot.... Once you get past TISC (mind the small boats tied up or sailing out of there) then keep going straight till you get to the big tree (the only tree) on the right side about half way down. From there, you can start veering toward the anchorage. Hope to see you and Carole!!

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

BillSmith wrote:Thanks for update. We're still on plan. A Kaboat to arrive before the weekend. The depicted transom mounted motor might be the way we go eventually. Paddle power only this weekend. Anyone with experience driving a dinghy with electric trolling motors?

Am out of state as well, as least that's what people up here in the State of Jefferson would tell me.

How bad are the fires effecting SF Bay? Wife mentioned heavy dose of smog today. Do I need to practice my radar skills?
BTW, I have an electric trolling motor for my dinghy, too; a smallish Minn Kota type. It worked well, but there is a slight pause when the handle was turned to on and I found it is a pain to lug the battery on and off the boat. I could not get very high speeds either, but for the amount of dinghying I do, it worked for me. Last time I was in Half Moon Bay, I just brought my kayaking paddles because I had "lost" my lock-in paddles a while back. I found it not so easy with two people (and impossible for just one - I also had my kayak) unless the two paddling were completely in sync. Instead, it's better to paddle the dinghy as if it were a skiff. I assume this is what you have so it should not be any problem at all.

Looks like some wind on the bay this weekend, which will be nice for us, but not so nice for the firefighters and people still in harm's way :(
Kynntana, Freedom 38

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Thank you both for the 'local knowledge'. We'll just have to get started early. Long haul from Coyote Point to Clipper Cove.

Next question. Can we sail under the new section of the SFO Bridge? The chart refers to allowed but must have prior communication with USCG. 'Notice to Mariners' seems to indicate passing between approved section OK. (G & H?) I figure we don't look like terrorists and at worst they'd wave us off. Even a longer haul if we have to go around Treasure Island instead of taking the direct route.

Do see that if we go under the eastern span, still must sail to the far side in entering the cove. 'Hug the north side' has been read loud `n clear in yours and every other bit of advice garnered online.

Air quality is now more an issue with spouse. Can't see The City from San Mateo. Both of us coughing a bit. Skies remind me of my visits to Southern California when my brother was at Long Beach State. Calif. Air Resources Board is a PITA, but worth not having air like this more regularly. Down right noxious. We do have a handful of those 'special' masks. Thought about wearing one today while at marina today. (Not there now, wifi sucks there.)

See you soon, but given the visibility, not until we are within boarding distance!
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

The old bridge along the Eastern span of the Bay Bridge has been completely (or nearly so) removed so there's no longer a restriction in that area that I'm aware of. I vaguely heard something on the radio Tuesday night about some naval practice going on so just keep eyes and ears out as you go through, especially the span closest to Yerba Buena Island where they might have stand-off requirements. I believe the main spans for navigation are now designated E2 and E3. If you're close to YBI when you pass under, you should probably move out a little to give you a more "straightly shot" toward the north end of the big pier, and then take a left turn, as mentioned in the earlier post. I see plenty of people cutting across there, which is probably fine at high tide, but I am vehemently opposed to taking a chance on a grounding, even in soft mud.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Goose13

Post by Goose13 »

We should be in the cove late morning around 1100, depending on the winds and currents. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

Camino

Post by Camino »

Been on the boat since 4:30 - much less smokey now at 8:30 pm! TI called me to confirm tomorrow :D I know we could have better circumstances but it'll be good yet, I'm sure. We can make the best of it at Treasure.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Carole and I will push out of Coyote Point sometime around 8am. Should be at TI well before noon.

You'll recognize us. The mast with no shrouds or stays. :lol:
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Sorry all. I won't be able to join you. I have a mechanical issue I have to address before I can attack the river. Have a good time and post some pics on the forum.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Safe and sound...

Bugged out after another bugging from "I've been here since Friday..." who continued to explain his concern over predicted easterly winds. Since our two boats were already pointed that direction, wasn't too sure why the issue needed to be raised--again--but figured it was better to push on before low tide made that decision moot. Made it back to Coyote Point just shy of 4am. Ebb tide shoved the knot log a wee bit slower than the quick 7 knot pace Saturday morning.

Had a thoroughly great time. Great people, great stories and very, very sound advice for we the novice sailors. Much appreciated.

A shower and bed beckons. See you all somewhere on the water again soon. Maybe not Mr. IGotHereFirst.

Bill & Carole
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Treasure Island Rendevous is over :(

Tom and Nati on Catch 22
Bill and Carol with SweetTart
Carliane and Camilla on Kynntana
Doug and Marie with millennial falcon
GoodWay with Steph and I

Everyone arrived in the morning of the 14th and we did two rafts - good old California wine tasting with a light lunch felt great - although it was really too hot! Plus I believe we chased away the Napa smoke - we had a weekend of light wind and hot sun. Treasure Island Yacht Club pulled out the stops for our "Pirate" dinner, followed by great talk and libation aboard afterwards.

The entire group were the best people to hang out with and get to know. :D - we WANT to do this again.

Of course the event had its concerns too- some broken parts (windlass), a failed system ( ugh no pressure water = no shower!), and the nearby poor seamanship of a cranky guy which led to an early departure of SweetTart. Thankfully Kynntana was able to lay down quite accurate withering fire (verbally :D ) on the fellow until he behaved.

Hey Steph and I actually sailed the whole way back home at 2.3 kts- really enjoying basking in the sun and talking over the weekends events
Last edited by Camino on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.