Post your Dinghies!

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
THATBOATGUY

Re: Post your Dinghies!

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Oh Man! That's giving me Dinghy Envy!!!

Not only that but I've been going back and forth on if I should have a fore and aft seat in the Minto... now I've decided.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

The fore-and-aft oriented seat is appropriate with a dinghy that has two sets of oarlocks. I think all dinghys should have this capability, because most of them have insufficient stern bouyancy when you have someone sitting there when the person rowing is sitting in a position which is optimized for single-handed rowing. I balance the boat off by using the front oarlocks, when rear seat is occupied, and the rear-most oarlocks when alone in the boat. The dinghy is so light that I once got awfully close to a rear-wise capsize when a guy got in and threw himself aft onto the seat. Such a near accident shouldn't happen if the dinghy weighs a lot, but then it wouldn't plane at low speed, and I couldn't easily roll the thing down my 200'+ walkway to my dock. Herm

markedwards

Post by markedwards »

Great to see the small stuff here. In addition to my Beetle Cat, Hobie 14 Turbo, 13' Boston Whaler, Sunfish, alum canoe, three plastic kayaks, paddle boat, and dinghy, I have built a strip plank canoe, rowing shell, plywood sea kayak, and am currently working on a new strip plank kayak that still has a long ways to go. If I figure out how to add photos, then you will see these projects below.
Mark Edwards
canoe and paddle long shot.JPG
canoe and paddle long shot.JPG (72.21 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Fly fishing for stripers from this is a challenge but lots of fun
Fly fishing for stripers from this is a challenge but lots of fun
A Boat shot with fish on line (3).jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
One strip at a time.  It's not fast work but it keeps me from watching too much TV.
One strip at a time. It's not fast work but it keeps me from watching too much TV.
11-22-08 Strips 2.JPG (54.71 KiB) Viewed 5678 times

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Wow Mark,

The strip plankers are gorgeous. Kerri and I have a fiberglass Selki and a plastic Prijon Kodiak. They are both in the 17 foot range sea kayaks. Unfortunately they are on the roof of our RV at the moment at the Florida place... :(

The in-flat-able canoe arrived last week I just haven't had the time or weather to inflate it and play with it.

George

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Mostly finished Minto Dinghy.

George