ABS Classification certificate F44

Michel

ABS Classification certificate F44

Post by Michel »

Friends,

According to brochures, the Freedom 44 is built under American Bureau of Shipping certification. Does somebody have a copy of the certificate of the plan approval issued by ABS? Or written statements signed by the designer and builder which confirm that they have respectively designed and built the yacht in accordance with the ABS Guide?

I'll ask Garry Hoyt the same.

This would greatly help me is getting my boat approved for ISAF category 0, 1 and 2 races.

Thanks.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

markedwards

Re: ABS Classification certificate F44

Post by markedwards »

Michel,
I think you will find the Freedom 44 production was stopped before the beginning of the ABS recreational certification program. Freedoms were built to ABYC standards all along but ABS actually came in and checked the hull and did a completion inspection and then awarded boats the plaque and certificate. I could be wrong on my dates but I think the ABs program started in that late 1980's and stopped in the early 90's.

It might be of interest for the certification team to note the many successes of the Freedom 44 in the Bermuda One-Two races beginning in 1983 and running to the present.

Best of luck,

Mark Edwards

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hello Mr. Edwards / Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I do have the bronze TPI builder's placard, but it just states that my boat is hull #4. I've been in touch with an ABS consultant and he told me the same about when ABS started yacht certification. I couldn't reach Garry Hoyt yet to ask him what he recalls. For my IRC / RORC measuring certificate, I'm currently trying to find stability information for the 6' draft Freedom 44. Could you perhaps point me somewhere / to someone who might have more design information? Perhaps Francis Herreshoff? Perhaps you have contact information of him?

Thanks for every shred of info to help me further.

Regards,
Michel Capel
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Michel,

In 1984 the F44 LA BALAINE hull #2 participated in class II of the OSTAR single handed transatlantic race skippered by Colin Laird. She finished as #39 although she broke a mast. This boat is currently for sale in Trinidad, see

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Fr ... and-Tobago

Perhaps the current owner can tell you something about her certification, although she has the 8ft deep keel.

Regards
Peter

Michel

Post by Michel »

Peter, thanks! Good to know there was an earlier F44 OSTAR participant. But that mast... I'm glad my main is a much stronger built GMT mast from 2000. I've been thinking about reinforcing the mizzen.