Made it through Michael okay

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Rick Simonds

Made it through Michael okay

Post by Rick Simonds »

My Hoyt 32 "Justiina" made it through hurricane Michael last week. There was so much storm surge the floating docks were within a foot or so of floating over and off the pilings. Didn't happen though and Justiina didn't suffer a single scratch, though the storm did make the decision about how long the old sail covers are going to last: namely, not one minute longer.

That storm was a very real scare, 80 miles west of me was a whole different story. A good friend's beautiful dive boat ended up in a seafood restaurant's main dining room. Both are unfortunately a total loss.

Luck means a lot in this world…

Rick
Tallahassee

drcscruggs

Re: Made it through Michael okay

Post by drcscruggs »

Good news,
How high was the surge? sounds like you had your ducks in a row with regard to lines and preparation. Not all luck.

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Glad to hear she came through unscathed.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Hey Rick, so good to hear!! I was thinking about you and how the boat had fared. Thanks for the update. How was the rest of the marina? I hope you have had electricity restored and things are starting to improve! My mother and brother, who live in Bristol, got through it relatively unscathed, and my home in Havana was mostly OK with just a privacy fence and barn damaged due to pecan trees shaking their limbs loose. I heard today there were 3 million acres of "forestland" damaged. My guess is that this is mostly planted pines (Pinus militarius, as us biologists call them). All the best on the long recovery process....
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Her Diamond is on the hard in Port Charlotte for the summer. Storage yard manager said wind in their area never got above 25 knots - whew. Rick - glad your boat came through well.
Bob
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

Excellent news! I wish everyone faired as well as you but guess that is not in the cards. Luck is the key. I learned that last year when Irma scooted by. For me, five miles further west and I would be crying. Luck was the savior.
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72