Happy Day: BlueJacket Launched!

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
GeoffSchultz

Happy Day: BlueJacket Launched!

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Last Friday was a happy day for me. After many long hours of work, BlueJacket was finally re-launched. The hull is looking good and I'm very happy with the new headliner (I'll provide photos of that later) and the refinishing that I've done. We spent the rest of the weekend working on her and have a few more days of work, but she's almost ready to cruise!

BlueJacket prior to launch

On her way!

Busy stern...
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Lola

Re: Happy Day: BlueJacket Launched!

Post by Lola »

She looks GREAT

fmolden

Post by fmolden »

Hey Geoff,

BlueJacket looks great! Did she just get a new Awlgrip job?

After all that you have done what future projects do you have in mind and what cruising destinations do you have in mind?

Fred

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

fmolden wrote:Hey Geoff,

BlueJacket looks great! Did she just get a new Awlgrip job?

After all that you have done what future projects do you have in mind and what cruising destinations do you have in mind?

Fred
Fred,

I'm happy to say that the AwlGrip job is from 2001. I had her painted in Grenada for about $5K. Brewers told me that they couldn't prime her for that amount! I did just apply a coat of AwlCare, which is a polymer coating. Some people had told me not to use it, but I was very happy with the results.

As far as projects are concerned, I guess that I have more than I thought...here's a list off the top of my head:
  • Complete finish-compounding the top sides. Wax.
  • Modify Mack Pack (StackPack wanna-be) to have battens on top edge.
  • Install class A AIS transponder.
  • Refinish cabinet doors and fiddles.
  • Move hailer to bow seat.
  • Add 2nd membrane to watermaker which will increase production to about 40 GPH
  • Replace all hoses on Yanmar. Have injectors rebuilt.
  • Add fresh water feed to head.
  • Design/fabricate new radar mount.
  • Install new radar reflector and possibly active radar reflector
  • Have life raft repacked
Currently my plans are to hang around the New England area for the summer and then head to FL once hurricane season is over. In Jan/Feb we'll cross to Isla Mujares, Mexico and then go to Belize. Most likely we'll leave the boat in Guatemala for hurricane season. The next year we'll go through the Panama Canal, make a left turn and explore the Pacific coast of Panama, Colombia, Ecuador and maybe Puru. I suspect that we'll probably leave BlueJacket in Panama for hurricane season. The next year we'll head up the Pacific coast of Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Savador, Guatemala and Mexico. We'll leave the boat somewhere up there and then maybe explore some of the US West coast. Then I want to ship the boat via truck to the Great Lakes and explore those. So that's my 4-5 year dream...

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org