New mast?

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Castaway

Re: New mast?

Post by Castaway »

As I've mentioned, the PO broke the original aluminium mainmast on Castaway. It wasn't apparently, violent or spectacular: the mast just flopped inside the sail. He said it was due to a strangely cut sail, not any violence such as collision. The UK masts were built by Proctors, and we still have the original mizzen. The inner sleeve, in the lower part, is a very close fit, and also held in by a lot of stainless steel machine screws threaded into the aluminium; there until the corrosion rots the entire mast, I think. They stick well into the interior of the mast, which makes passing wires internally a frustrating source of invective!

The mast is tapered along its length, with no step at the join, and the crane at the top is welded in place. It is the same length as the new main, a CF spar made in the USA by T.P., and imported specially. (He must have had very understanding insurers!) The aluminium mast is nearly twice the weight of the CF one, and smaller in diameter by about 1 inch (2.5cm) at the heel. It is my impression that it is a mite less flexible, too. George, the PO, told me he had once got into a wind acceleration zone in the Canaries, with a staysail set, and the running backstay broke; He said the bend was spectacular, but nothing broke during the minute or two it took to drop the staysail.

I'd love to have a replacement CF spar, but suspect the cost would be at least £10000. An F35 recently sold in the UK for about three times that, with two CF masts! I think there is a firm at Caley Marina in Inverness which makes CF masts, if ever your insurers are looking for a manufacturer. It probably would be as expensive to get a one off tapered aluminium mast made as a CF one.

Look after those spars, but I doubt if you could break one just by sailing with the usual wrap around sails, in any weather.

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Michel

Post by Michel »

Let me guess.....'some rather low technology application of force': a sledgehammer?
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Castaway wrote: I'd love to have a replacement CF spar, but suspect the cost would be at least £10000.
Gerald
Gerald, in 1997 I asked Carbospars what a CF mast for an F33/35 catketch would cost. They quoted UKP 4000, if I remember well. This quote was backed by Brian Butler of Ancasta as being a fair quote. Brian was the most Freedom knowledgeable person in the UK at the time.
Last edited by Michel on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

arthur fonzerelli

Post by arthur fonzerelli »

i need a repair on a f39 mast . The mast seems like it was broken just above the deck where the mainsail is. It was broken by Sea Tow after a storm when she broke loose from her moring in Port Jefferson harbor New York . the sea tow guy attached a line to the mast to right the boat off the beach when he snapped the mast off the boat. well thats the story I was told by the managment at the boatyad . Now I bought the boat and about 6 feet of the bottom of the mast is missing and the step plate to mount it in the bilge wih I have no idea what it looks like I would greatly appreciate a picture of the mounting plate for the masts I think there both missing! I have alot of work ahead of me I know so please help me.

Alain

Post by Alain »

Hello Arthur,
I had my 2 masts replaced on my 39PH after meeting hurricane Jane in 2005.
Masthead_3.jpg
Masthead_3.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
I measured all dimensions of the broken masts and kept the main parts to draw plans of the replacements
Old masts.jpg
Old masts.jpg (76.39 KiB) Viewed 8175 times

I asked several carbon spar builders for quotes, and Ted Van Dusen http://www.vandusenracingboats.com/spars.html had the best product and price (17.000$ for the main and 12.000$ for the forward mast). The new masts are significantly lighter than the original ones.
The new masts have a Tides Marine track installed
The new masts have a Tides Marine track installed
new_masts.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 8172 times
The construction technique is quite sophisticated when compared with the original mast: the new masts are "woven" in one piece, put in an autoclave for a while, etc. No circular cracking as on the original masts (I previously owned a F33 wich masts had circular cracks all the way up; this was strictly cosmetic... Same with the original 39PH masts)
I have more details (VISIO CAD files) if you want to join to your quote requests. if you are interested, let me know. Good luck!
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal

arthur fonzerelli

yes I have decided to repair my CF mast with aluminun . I found a flag pole manufacturer right next door to my town in Port Jefferson New York that can and has done it before the only dimension I need is the mast lenght for a 39Ph catch schooner made in 1982 ! If any one can relay that infomation to me I would be greatly appreciative to them .
I still have to figure out a design for the mounting steps to secure the bottom of the mast in the bilge. I also have to make up a design to hold the for mast in pace up in the bow as someone has stolen both peices .

Alain

Post by Alain »

arthur fonzerelli wrote:yes I have decided to repair my CF mast with aluminun . I found a flag pole manufacturer right next door to my town in Port Jefferson New York that can and has done it before the only dimension I need is the mast lenght for a 39Ph catch schooner made in 1982 ! If any one can relay that infomation to me I would be greatly appreciative to them .
I still have to figure out a design for the mounting steps to secure the bottom of the mast in the bilge. I also have to make up a design to hold the for mast in pace up in the bow as someone has stolen both peices .
Hi Arthur,
Here are the plans I submitted to have new masts made for my 1983 PH39.
PH39 Visio-Bases de mat.pdf
Dimensions of original PH39 masts both main and mizzain
(34.62 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
In addition, you will find the "keelsteps" drawings for both masts.
PH39 Keelstep main.pdf
Main mast keelstep drawing and dimsensions
(26.02 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
PH39 Keelstep forward.pdf
Forward mast keelstep
(27.25 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
These steps are bolted on the bottom and the masts simply slide on it. A single bolt on each mast keep it from lift off the steps when sails are down.
Hope this will help
Alain
Alain

Alain

Post by Alain »

And here is the PH39 masts and sailplan dimensions
Attachments
PH39 Sailplan.pdf
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
Alain

arthur fonzerelli

thank You very much .Alain as soon as I can download this information I willArthur.
Alain wrote:
arthur fonzerelli wrote:yes I have decided to repair my CF mast with aluminun . I found a flag pole manufacturer right next door to my town in Port Jefferson New York that can and has done it before the only dimension I need is the mast lenght for a 39Ph catch schooner made in 1982 ! If any one can relay that infomation to me I would be greatly appreciative to them .
Hi Arthur,
Here are the plans I submitted to have new masts made for my 1983 PH39.
PH39 Visio-Bases de mat.pdf
In addition, you will find the "keelsteps" drawings for both masts.
PH39 Keelstep main.pdf
PH39 Keelstep forward.pdf
These steps are bolted on the bottom and the masts simply slide on it. A single bolt on each mast keep it from lift off the steps when sails are down.
Hope this will help
Alain

arthur fonzerelli

Can someone tell me what the length of the main mast is for a FREEDOM 39PH SCHOONER , mine is broken and i,m going to insert an aluminum pipe into the botom of it as i bought it with the broken mast and two missing booms wich i aslo have to construct .
I would greatly apreciate some feed back on this subject as i am wanting to put her in the water in april 2011. boom lengths would aslo be nice and some rigging tips thanks in advance for sending that data on the sails to my sail maker mr wedikind here in port jefferson New York
my sail makers email is wedikindsail@juno.com I am truly looking forward to sailing this comming summer folks
thanks ARTHUR himself