What boat projects are you working on?

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
phildowney

Re: What boat projects are you working on?

Post by phildowney »

hi
i have finaly got going on my new sails, here is the mizzen laid out for the first time tonight! the luff is left of picture,
phil
freedom 35 ketch kusi lymington uk
mizzen
mizzen
2011-03-17_20-25-35_228 (800x598).jpg (245.26 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Phil, that looks awesome!

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I just sent my new jib into UK Halsey-San Diego to have some 2.5" long Spectra straps added to the clew to make it long enough to go on the camber spar. UK-Texas will completely remake the jib and send me a new one once we're back home. While I'm not happy that it wasn't right the first time, they're definitely doing what it takes to make it right.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Yesterday I had what's been a rare success...I fired up the newly upgraded watermaker and other than a few initial leaks, it worked great. I'm now producing 38 gallons per hour with a TDS of < 50 (note that the recommended limit is 500.) Wow, we're going to have LOTS of nice water! And to think, my first watermaker produced about 6 GPH...

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Without the freshwater supply I could not convince Kerri to come along. I don't care what anyone else says, *I* love it! Glad you had a win with yours Geoff. I usually say, that's one in a row when that happens. :)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The jib came back (the second time) with 2.5" spectra strap extensions which made it possible to get the jib on to the Camber spar. Yeah! I'm sending the old jib (that he made) back to him to use as a pattern for the one that he's remaking for me.

The AC is back up and running. From what I can tell, the only issue was the bad readings that I was getting due to the Schroeder valve. That was a large waste of time...

We're pretty much done provisioning the boat. Cash has been flowing liberally. It's a daunting task trying to make sure that you all of the spares/consumables that the boat might need for the next 5 years as we won't be back in the US for at least that long. Getting things here will be SO much easier than later on. Luckily we've done this before and have a good cache of spares, but you always need to run through your lists over and over.

Now we just need a nice weather window. Storm 1 of 3 rolled through last night and while they aren't strong storms down here, they're bringing cold temps with them (snow in the mountains just E of here) and the last thing that I want to do is to make the admiral cold and unhappy at the start of the trip. Right now it looks like a weekend departure.

-- Geoff

P.S. Diesel is San Diego is $5 - $5.79/gal. In Ensenada, MX it's $2.81. Guess where I'm filling up?
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Michael, just saw your Hydrovane bracket, nice job. I also just fitted a Hydrovane to my F32 last week and had to make a 7 inch bottom bracket ( see below ). Sailed 40nm dead down wind yesterday using the Hydrovane for the first time and was impressed. Geoff I understand the money flowing liberally thing, Ive spend the last 3 mths getting ready to head to Thailand, its amazing how we under estimate the cost of getting a boat ready for a decent journey.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform
Attachments
photo (9) (NXPowerLite).JPG
photo (9) (NXPowerLite).JPG (49.79 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
photo (NXPowerLite).jpg
photo (NXPowerLite).jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 4264 times