cabin heater

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Tom Cawrse

cabin heater

Post by Tom Cawrse »

I'm trying to figure what kind of heater I might be able to install in Pegasus. She was a California boat, so never needed cabin heat, but now is on Peget Sound. does anyone have words of wisdom... or maybe words of warning!

Thanks, Tom

Capitan Sardina

Re: cabin heater

Post by Capitan Sardina »

I guess it depends on want you want. I installed a SIG wood burning stove. It works great in our mild (Georgia) winters.

The pros are simplicity, low price, it puts nice dry heat and it smells great.

cons are that it needs tending every hour or so (so you will have a cold boat in the morning), and wood takes a lot more space than diesel or gas.

The installation was quite simple, but it requires a shokingly large hole (5").

Cheers,

Alex

Michel

Post by Michel »

I have a Dickinson Alaska in my F44:

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic. ... 320#p40947

If you leaf back and forth a bit you can see the installation project: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabama_queen/page2/.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Tom Cawrse

Post by Tom Cawrse »

Thanks to all... we went down to our used marine store[Second Wave], and found a Webasto hot water circulation system still in the box that we're considering... I'll let you all know how this plays out.

Tom

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I live in New England and have an F-33. I installed a Dickinson Newport Propane cabin heater. Its a pretty safe design as it has a 2 in 1 stack so it draws air from the outside to support combustion rather than from the cabiin which is a CO risk.
It has a glass door so its kind of like a gas fireplace in terms of ambience. Has a built in fan.
They make 2 sizes. I got the larger and with the balsa core hull and deck its plenty on the 33 even in 45 degree water and around 32 F.
But if I were looking for a heater for extended liveaboard use off the dock I'd probably get a diesel heater (I think they make a diesel version or a real central system with multiple ducts or piping) so I'd have virtually unlimited fuel.
I've had the unit for about 5 seasons and the only issue is that the safety shut off sensor gets dirty occassionally and is a bit hard to get at to clean.