how to heave to in a F32 Hoyt?

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
borealis

how to heave to in a F32 Hoyt?

Post by borealis »

I am shopping for a Freedom 32 Hoyt. In the process of researching this model I have consistently heard that it is difficult or impossible to heave to. I would appreciate comments from owners and users of a Hoyt 32 who can confirm heaving to as being a problem and particularly from those who have found a way to do so. Thanks in advance.

Rick Simonds

Re: how to heave to in a F32 Hoyt?

Post by Rick Simonds »

Well, I can confirm heaving-to as being a problem.

I haven't tried every sail / helm / trim combination but, in perhaps 4 serious tries, I was never able to get it to work. I still have to try a double reef in the main, though. It seems so tantalizingly close to working, it even seems to work for a while, then the boat jibes.

My theory is the mast is so far forward that it may present too much windage in the bow: the boat is quickly just spinning downwind without ever gaining enough speed to sail itself back into irons. I have to find the combination where the boat wants to keep a bit of headway, or a way to get it to gain headway more quickly.

I'm not convinced it's impossible but, to quote Thomas Edison, "I haven't failed, I've discovered a huge number of ways that don't work."

Rick
Tallahassee

borealis

Re: how to heave to in a F32 Hoyt?

Post by borealis »

Thanks for your response Rick. Hopefully we will hear from others who have had some success.