Looking for help to answer a few questions

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Richard Abbinanti

Looking for help to answer a few questions

Post by Richard Abbinanti »

Good Morning Freedom owners.

I am looking to purchased a 1987 Freedom 36. I just had it survey and have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.
While under motor power at 3000 to 3500 RPM, I was getting a vibrating feeling at the helm . The surveyor check the motor monts on the engine and shaft.He said the engine was not vibrating , but the wash from the prop. It's a double blade prop, 17 by 11. Does this sound right? What prop would I need to get to get rid of the vibration.

2nd question on the mast, about three feet up from the deck there were two cracks in the white material. The cracks where going around the mast. it looked like the white material was peeling or flaking off.

3rd question on the keel about a foot or two down from the bottom of the hull, there was a slight line going from the front to the back. No water found in the keel.
other then a shore battery charger not working , it sailed great. My last boat was a 30ft Cape Dory.
Richard Abbinanti

GeoffSchultz

Re: Looking for help to answer a few questions

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I guess that I'd trust what the surveyor said. I sometimes feel a shudder at the wheel which is due to prop wash/current.

The cracks that you're describing are fairly typical for those masts. Do a search in this forum for "mast cracks" and I think you'll find a lot of information.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Richard Abbinanti

Thank you very much.
Richard

plolic

Post by plolic »

Hi, i am a recent owner of a "new to me" 1986 Freedom 36 I purchased in April this year. Mine has a MaxProp 3 blade 17" feathering propeller and I do not have any vibrations. i run my engine Yanmar 3GM 30F at 2800 rpm. I do not think you can gain much more speed with higher than that rpm and you will certainly burn more fuel. MaxProp is what I had on my previous boat and those are simply magic.

When i first looked at the boat I've purchased i found small cracks around the entire circumference where a doubler is bonded to the mast for a gooseneck attachment. These are apparently normal and I've seen them on mid 90's Freedoms on sale so not to worry about.

If it was the wet line (when the boat was out and dried) that you have noticed this might be the connection between the lead keel and the hull. This might be nothing at all but might indicate seal breakdown and sea water ingress surrounding the SS keel bolts which if prolonged may have resulted in crevice corrosion. you need not see the water in the bilges to have the crevice corrosion eat away on your keel bolts. I sincerely hope it is not the case. I have some more information on this if you are interested.

While I am still learning he boat, i really like Freedoms and enjoy mine so much. Just yesterday I finally lubed my sail slugs (silicone spray lubricant) and the gigantic main sail with six full battens went up by hand easily.

regards/petar

Richard Abbinanti

I thank you very much and good luck with your new Freedom.
Richard