farfarer

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
phildowney

farfarer

Post by phildowney »

hi
just discovered the new nigel irens design farfarer she has a lot in common with the long keeled centreboard fredoms and is one of the largest 62 ft unstayed masted boats around
check out
http://schoonermaggieb.net/
all the best
phil
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

Michel

Re: farfarer

Post by Michel »

Yes, interesting, I've been following this development for quite a while. I wonder how the rig performs on a reach or run, with no boom on the fore sail. They cannot keep out the clew. Perhaps they use a pole to wing out the fore sail to windward.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

phildowney

Post by phildowney »

they appear to use a pole , one is visible on a priliminary model hoyt in notes on freedoms said for racing he went to windward without the whishbone though how he got it up and down i dont know!
ive often thought about an absoloutely colossal lugsail in nylon sheeted to the spi blocks for cruising in light airs. it would take up a lot of room though!
phil
Southampton UK

Michel

Post by Michel »

That lugsail sounds nice, but it would load your mast too much with its huge spar so high up.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Michel

Post by Michel »

For those interested, here Bertrand d'Alencon is building a smaller (50') size Farfarer on Sebu, Philipines. Boat's name is Glaz. Design by Nigel Irens. Many photos are dead links, but there's enough to lick your lips for. Take note especially how he hand builds two 60' carbon fiber masts in half molds.....very interesting..... as is the casting of 8400 kgs of lead ballast. Not much for safety and environment..... But iIncredible how someone can build a boat with such little means. Carbon masts are not freestanding but shrouded by dyneema, b.t.w..
http://www.fusionschooner.blogspot.com/

phildowney

Post by phildowney »

nice boat!
ive always wondered what nigel irens would do at the f 35 size and displacement, im a fan of long keels for serious offshore sailing if going down the displacement monohull route as it produces a comfortable fast boat ( if not im into mini transats and marshall isands proa derivatives !)

phil
Southampton UK

Michel

Post by Michel »

Phil,

You are probably aware of Roxane, Irens' 30' racing lugsail ketch. In '95, I went over to Darthmouth to meet Nigel Irens and see the launch of the first Roxane. I found the interior too cramped, and I bumped into the Freedom concept later. Owner of the Roxane was someone from St. Peter Port, who sailed away to the Channel Islands with Irens hours after the launch. I'm sure Irens could scale up a Roxane to 35'. He scaled her down to 20' too for Romilly.