Non Freedom Cat Ketch Opinion

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bferri

Non Freedom Cat Ketch Opinion

Post by Bferri »

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this
I've been lurking on this forum for a few years and I've become obsessed with cat ketches
I've never sailed one, but from the descriptions I've read, it seems like the boat for me
None of my sailing friends have sailed one either, so I can't get an informed opinion
I need to be able to single hand easily ... my wife doesn't like "drama"
I think I am ready to buy.
I've narrowed it down to these two

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... ow+Details

I do not want this to be a total money decision although cost is a factor
I plan to keep the boat on Long Island Sound on the short term and hopefully move her to the Abacos one day
I do not want to live aboard, just day and weekend sails
I would appreciate it if anyone could offer some opinions/observations between the 2 canadates
I know its tough to comment on a boat in an ad, but I won't hold anyone responsible for their opinions
I live in NYC, but would travel to the Fla boat to check out that boat
I won't buy either without a survey, so do not worry about guarding your comments
I have owned a 1976 Tartan 27 and a 1982 Whitby 42, so I know what to expect from old boats ... I just have no experience with cat ketches
Any opinions will be appreciated and taken with a grain of salt
Thanks in advance and forgive me for not discussing a Freedom ... If anyone knows of a Freedom cat ketch from 31' -33' for sale, please let me know
Thanks again

Michel

Re: Non Freedom Cat Ketch Opinion

Post by Michel »

Bferri,

Welcome to our board. People interested are always welcome here, also if they are not Freedom owners or lovers. Perhaps a Freedom owner in your neighborhood is willing to take you along for a sail to get your bearings.

All the best,
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

bighopper252

Post by bighopper252 »

About Walter Scott:
http://sailboatdata.com/view_designer.a ... ner_id=111
Since he was associated with Irwin, I guess the hull is a very classic design, somewhat overbuilt hardware. I did some surveys on Irwin's units and I found problems at the bridge, at the mast level. I don't think this would be a problem due to keel stepped and the large diameter of the mast.
Hull entries are quite thin. Because of the weight of the main mast already much forward, I would suspsect that one must be sure not to overweigh the bow with anchor, chain, dinghy, ...
It seems that the electrical panel has been upgraded.
Great ventilation! It seems that all ports can be opened:).
Note: Whithy 42... the ketch? a dream :)

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

That Offshore 33 is a quite, quite different boat to the Freedom 33! Better to windward, perhaps, but not the comfortable, upright boat that suits a middle-aged amateur like me. I wonder how she goes on a broad reach?
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Bferri

Post by Bferri »

Any thoughts on the Herreshoff?
Yes, the Whitby 42 was a ketch
Too big for day sailing on Long Island Sound with frequent tacks and jibes