Prospective New Owner

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
pastasimon

Prospective New Owner

Post by pastasimon »

I've just had an offer accepted on a Freedom 35; she's Cat Ketch rigged; built 1983; Volvo 2003 diesel; lifting keel.

Some tips please, what should I be specifically looking for? What should I insist the surveyor check for? Any known possible problems? And one thing in particular intrigues me, it has a lifting keel but it seems the normal long keel profile, so is the keel just to aid windward performance? Does mud ever get trapped in there and what's it made of?

Thanks for the help, assistance is greatly appreciated :)

Simon

pastasimon

Re: Prospective New Owner

Post by pastasimon »

Hi, anyone care to comment or assist an (almost) new owner?

:)

CrazyRU

Post by CrazyRU »

Hi, pastasimon, welcome to the board.
I have US Freedom 28 (same as UK Freedom 30), smaller cousin of US F33 (UK F35).
I believe that all boards on "smallish" Freedoms made in similar ways - it is lead encapsulated in fiberglass. The board is sector shaped and yes, it's just for aiding to windward performance. The board is heavy and I doubt if anything ever can jam it. Besides it is pretty tight fit and there is no much room between trunk's sides and board.

Freedom are cored boats so make sure that deck and hull don't sound dull. Check an area around a block on a deck, where centerboard's lifting line exits. On US boats this area is prone to compression and cracking with possible water penetration into core.
I don't know any other weak points of the design.
Good luck with the boat, they are very sturdy ocean going vessels.
Best
Vlad
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard

gar

Post by gar »

Hi pastasimon,
if the masts are carbon fibre check mast base for movement in the tabernacle which can cause the base to grind and delaminate/crumble especially the foremast. Also check the deck tabernacles are not up against the mast wall as this will cause a hard spot and ultimate failure. Check masts for radial cracking which it probably will have but this is a usual fault and there is plenty of info on the site here. See if the centreboard has a limiting strop fitted which takes the weight from the lifting wire/rope when the board is down full. If there isn't one it would be a good idea to fit one which limits the board to 3/4 full down which is the best position for windward performance!
Check water tank inspection hatches for leaks especially when tanks are full.
If i think of anything else specific i will post it
I used to own a Fairways freedom 35 wishbone rig/centreboard built 1981 for 10 years.
best regards
Gar

pastasimon

Post by pastasimon »

Thanks for those replies, very helpful; I'll check those points. Is it worth hunting down a lifting keel version, are they that much better? I've got a choice of two, one fixed keel with lots of equipment, one lifting with much less equipment.

Simon