installing a edson reada pole to the stern

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Richard Abbinanti

installing a edson reada pole to the stern

Post by Richard Abbinanti »

Looking to install a edson radar pole to stern of my 36ft . 3 questions.
Power wire how do I get it back to the panel?
Can all the wire's from the radar and gps fit into the 1 in pipe at the helm , if I use both side's ?
Can I drill through the stern on the starboard side and be able to get in there?

Thank you all very much. If you have photo please send.
Richard :?

Ereiss

Re: installing a edson radar pole to the stern

Post by Ereiss »

Richard, I am in that process now on my F38.

1. Have you checked out Garhauer for your radar pole? I just got one from them 1/2 the cost of others and looks beautiful. $750+/- including lifiting arm and loop over dome.
2. Can't comment on getting wires through pedestal guard as I haven't gotten that far yet. Do know that will have to drill down through guard foot and through deck if I do. That is my preferred way to go but need to received the display to see how big the plugs are.
3. Getting access up through the starboard stern flat area (how else to describe it?) isn't tough. There is a panel at the aft end of the stern cabin that gives you good access to this area and there is on my F38 a wire trough that is covered by wood trim running up to the hanging closet on the starboard side of that berth into which the wires to the nav station would be run.

That's what I know so far. good luck to us both.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Richard Abbinanti

Re: installing a edson reada pole to the stern

I thank you Ed ,for getting back to me. I purchased an Edson radar pole yesterday, with other part needed. I will look for the panel you are talking about tomorrow. I will be running the wire up through the pedestal guard. I have done that before with another boat.
Thank you again
Richard Abbinanti

Richard Abbinanti

Eress
Did you do any other work this weekend ?
Richard

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Busy weekend, Richard. Finished the installation of an Air-x wind generator. Didn't finish until late as every project takes 2-3 times longer than I anticipate, so I didn't get a chance to see if it is working properly. After all that work, I sure hope so. Waiting for the radar and display to arrive. Radar should be here this week and display in late May.

Best regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I agree with Ed's comments. Also - for ease of access to work area aft of aft cabin, I installed piano hinge and barrel bolt to the panel. Need to get back there at least once per year to grease rudder bearings. Also, as alternative to running wires through pedestal guard (in case they don't fit), I saw elsewhere on this board a reference to running the wires through the pedestal itself - entering through the forward side, about 1/3 of the way down from the top.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH