Help need on Freedom purchase

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
prusso

Help need on Freedom purchase

Post by prusso »

I would like some input from experienced Freedom owners. I have a Catalina 27 and want to move up. I have been looking at a 1984 Hoyt F32. It took on water at its dock in Alabama a few years ago. The person that owns it now has had the yamar rebuilt new electrical panel, new hot water tank, new electronics, the hull is finished and painted with awl grip paint. The cushions have been refinished. The interior has been clean and teak re-oiled. The interior just needs some TLC, The deck has a lot of spider cracks (which I can repair and then repaint) the running rigging is usable as are the sails. The owner is asking $21000. We always loved Freedoms and there are not many F32 on the marked. Of Couse I will have it surveyed to make sure the hull, deck, mast is ok.
Thanks in advanced
Pat
Last edited by prusso on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THATBOATGUY

Re: Help need on Freedom purchase

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Sounds like a bargain to me and a good move up for you.

It also sounds like you are taking the proper due diligence with survey and all.

Good luck to you and hope the process goes smoothly to everyone's liking.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi . Sounds like alot of boat for the money.I have a 1984 Freedom 32 and have been cruising on her for two years and cant praise her enough, Im sure my friends get sick of me talking about how much I like this boat. This is my fourth yacht and it has ruined conventional rigs for me. Im currently heading up the Qld coast (Australia) on the way to Thailand. Did a 70nm run today and averaged 6.8knots, these are fast boats off the wind for there length and age. With such powerful mains proper sail trim eg. liberal use of vang makes significant differences to sailing performance. Theres always things to check but one I would suggest is the floor framing behind the mast for rot as Im sure your mast deck join will be leaking also the masts have a habit of twisting, a layer of glass around the base top hat to make a snug fit and Spartite where it goes through the deck should sought it out. The rudder packing also seems to wear quite quickly. All in all I find the quality of the F32's to be very robust they are a good small ( large for a 32) cruising boat. When I grow up I hope to get a 40/40 or F45 the whole free standing easy to sail rig is just that good.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform.

prusso

Post by prusso »

Thank you both for your replies and input. I have a surveyor set up but we need to wait until the rain stops here in Michigan, he said he want dry conditions before he takes moisture reading. That makes sense to me from a mechanical point of view.
I will most more as the purchase becomes final
Thanks again
Pat
:D