Freedom 33/35 cat rigged ketch

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
AndrewLister

Freedom 33/35 cat rigged ketch

Post by AndrewLister »

Can anyone help with some advice, I am seriously looking at purchasing a old Freedom 33/35 cat rigged ketch and would welcome some feedback on what problems I should be looking out for?

I have now viewed 4 boats all needing quite a bit of work, all need new sails (I have read with interest on this forum details of the G10 rig) does anyone have experience with aluminum masts fitted to these boats? I understand they were a cheaper option on later built UK boats.

Andrew

harv17

Re: Freedom 33/35 cat rigged ketch

Post by harv17 »

The Junk Rigged boat blog has people who have used Alum light poles for masts, besides using wooden masts.

AndrewLister

Post by AndrewLister »

I was wondering if an aluminum mast would cope with the additional flex a G10 sail setup would impose or would it flex enough in gusts?

Michel

Post by Michel »

Andrew,

I had an F33/35 UK built for several years, with aluminium masts. My experience is that they are more flexible than the carbon fiber masts. Due to the tube-in-tube construction of the lower part of the mast, the flexing part of the aluminum masts is higher up. I see no problems with using a G-10 rig. A good sailmaker experienced in free standing masts will test the flexing and location of flex area before designing the sails. Look for a sailmaker who has made sails for the Finn, for instance.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.