Trying to match color of gel coat. (GRAY)

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Richard Abbinanti

Trying to match color of gel coat. (GRAY)

Post by Richard Abbinanti »

Trying to match the color

Looking for help, to identify the make and model number of my gel coat for my 1987 36 ft. Freedom. It’s a gray color. As it was hit July 4 while she sat at the mooring all alone. All information would be helpful to get her repaired.
Thank you
Richard

dwight

Re: Trying to match color of gel coat. (GRAY)

Post by dwight »

Richard

Knowing the mfg and color of the gelcoat won't help when making repairs. The pigments in all gelcoats fade when exposed to sunlight. The best you can do is ask around your area to find a guy who has a good reputation repairing gelcoat. Its a finicky game and the lessons require a lot of patience and practice. One problem is the fact that the new gelcoat will fade after application, so you cannot directly match the color of your faded gelcoat. You need to plan for the new gelcoat fading and try to mix the new color in anticipation of this. A good "patch guy" will have developed these skills and reputation by working on a lot of other boats.

Unless its a small repair, most shops will want to paint the entire boat. This is very effective in hiding the repair, but also very expensive.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

Richard Abbinanti

Re: Trying to match color of gel coat. (GRAY)

Post by Richard Abbinanti »

Thank you Dwight this request can from the yard that was going to do the work. I really don't want the side painted.
I was told that glidden may have made the gel coat back then, but the color kept changing.
Thank you
Richard