New Freedom 32 owner

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
jankrispi123

New Freedom 32 owner

Post by jankrispi123 »

Hello everyone,
A special thanks to the Freedom forum! The forum helped me make a decision to buy a 1984 Freedom 32, in St. Pete, FL. GRACE was landlocked for 4-5 years, after extensive cruising by the previous owner, and the pre purchase survey was enough to make you go weak in the knees, and your purse strings tighten. After many to do lists, a very helpful boat yard, and 6 weeks in the boat spa, GRACE is back in the water, and enjoying her slip in Apollo Beach, FL (across the bay from St. Pete). I cannot stop smiling. Every time I think of her, I can't believe she is mine. The Freedoms are great boats. She has great bones. I still have a lot of projects to do, but I feel I am building on a very strong foundation. The forum has demystified and helped guide me through the systems on the boat. The downloadable owner's manual has been a godsend.

A little about my sailing history: I have been seriously sailing/cruising since 1986. I have had the pleasure of owning/cruising several boats - Cape Dory 19; cruised for a year and a half on a CS30; Wellington 44; Fountaine Pajot 35. After selling the Fountaine Pajot cat in 2006, I bought a Hobie Mirage kayak with a sailing attachment - fun, but just not the same. I have always wanted a Freedom. I am adjusting to not having standing running rigging. I have to remind myself to not reach for a handhold in thin air. I love the full battened main. I really look forward to sailing with company, and the ease of tacking. Can't wait to try the gun mount spinnaker.

Looking forward to swapping ideas, learning new things, and meeting other Freedom owners, either online, or on the water (Tampa Bay).
Jan

1980raven

Re: New Freedom 32 owner

Post by 1980raven »

Welcome, I also found the Forum to be very helpful during my 3 year refit of Raven. I am new to sailing I love my 1980 Freedom 28CK. Sailed her for the first time in early June and after over 60 trips on Narragansett Bay I winterized the engine on December 10th. I thinking about spring here in New England. If you ever get this far north send me a PM Art
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Jan, congratulations on your purchase. Hope you get alot of pleasure cruising her.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

jankrispi123

Post by jankrispi123 »

Thank you, for the posts - Art; Dale! I appreciate it.
Jan

Audiguy

Post by Audiguy »

Hi Jan,

I am a new 1984 Freedom 32 owner and my boat is currently on the hard in Punta Gorda. I live in Ontario, Canada and plan to spend the month of April working on my boat before she goes back into the water.

There is so much to learn about these boats and I do not have an extensive sailing history but every day I realize that the Freedom 32 is an incredible boat and I got more for my money than I ever could have hoped

All the best and lets keep in touch
Richard
smith.richard968@gmail.com

jankrispi123

Post by jankrispi123 »

Hi Richard,
Congratulations on your choice of boats. April is such a great time to be in Florida. Charlotte Harbor is a super cruising ground. Have thought about going to the Keys in April, but just need some more shakedown time, before committing across Florida Bay. Maybe we will make it to PG. If we do, I will drop you an email.
Yes, I agree the Freedoms are incredible boats and a good value.
Have had Grace out sailing about 4 times now, and I love the easy motion through the water. She feels like a much bigger boat. The fully battened main is the bomb.
By all means, lets keep in touch.
Jan

Audiguy

Post by Audiguy »

Jan,

I am so envious that you have yours in the water and are actually sailing her...I can't wait until April when I can start the bonding process with mine.

I am presently researching keel modifications: a friend, who has sailed the F32 and a number of other larger boats, has been a little discouraging about my 6ft keel and life on the Gulf coast and the Keys with all that keel!!!

So, to that end, I have looked into the removal of a foot of keel and the addition of a bulb or winged addition: it is a rather well engineered project and would cost about $4500 for the addition and installation... I'm not quite there on doing it, but the idea is certainly a good....

we'll see
Richard