New Freedom 33 owner in the Solent area.

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
hotstonp

New Freedom 33 owner in the Solent area.

Post by hotstonp »

Hello and thanks to everyone for this font of knowledge on all things Freedom.

I have been an avid reader over the last few months and have now taken ownership of a UK built Freedom 33 Cat Sloop. It will be a few weeks yet until I get her tidied up and into the water.

I haven't seen many Freedoms in the Solent though I did used to see a Cat Ketch around Felixstowe when I used to sail on England's East Coast.

Looking forward to getting launched.
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

hotstonp

Re: New Freedom 33 owner in the Solent area.

Post by hotstonp »

I now have the various bills of sale and have found that her original name was Fancy Freedom, then Dodge M and now Feronia. I won't be changing her name. Fancy Freedom was the vessel reviewed in the UK magazines Yachting Monthly and Practical Boat Owner. It is nice to know some of the history.
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Hi,

We have a Freedom 33 sloop (Crossjack) in the Solent, based Ocean Village. If you need any help or advice, please drop us a line as we are happy to help if we can. We have owned her for around 8 years now. She was built in 1989 in Falmouth, I think one of the last ones to be built. Freedoms are great boats and we cruise her (and use her as a weekend retreat) pretty much year round. I reckon you would be hard pressed to find the same size yacht that has as much room down below.

There are a few other Freedoms around the Solent and once you start looking, you will start seeing them out there.

Have fun in Feronia and see you out there :)

Crossjack out

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Hi Crossjack

Many thanks indeed for your offer. I am slowly getting to grips with her but an informed head is always a blessing so I am sure I will be asking. I have just moved Feronia to OV this weekend. She is on C pontoon.

I shall keep my eyes peeled next time I am down.

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Hi Feronia,

We are on F pontoon so practically neighbours (F4). How great to have two Freedom 33s in the same marina - a rare sight indeed. Away sailing in France next week, but we will look out for you after that. We are are around most weekends. Be great to share knowledge for sure.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

We have two F35's in our marina here, with only 130 berths!

Our boat is hull 037, also fitted out in Falmouth; the other one here was from the Hamble, and is different in lots of minor ways.

Castaway was originally berthed in the SOlent, at Lymington, but has spent most of the last ten years in Scandinavia.

Should you find yourselves in Lerwick, please do call by!
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland