Atlantic Crossing

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Hans

Atlantic Crossing

Post by Hans »

We just finished our trip to sail "Scherezade" from St Lucia to Amsterdam. Left 5th of june, arrived 26th of july. Because we just left when the official hurricane season was started we monitored the barometric pressure carefully, and checked daily the NHC bulletin. In the end we had mostly light, and a lot of time even absent, winds. We used a lot the light weather sails and needed to reef twice only and just the first reef. We made a lot of engine hours and needed a detour to Bermuda on the stretch from St Maarten to the Azores, just to refuel. We brought extra jerrycans on the stretch from the Azores to L' Aber Wrach in Bretagne, N France. When there was wind she performed very well. Sailing with light winds gave us a lot of time to fine tune the trim to get the best out of her and to find the best trim to sailing close hauled. This paid off on our last stretch from Sark ( One of the Anglo-Norman Channel Islands) to IJMuiden with NE winds instead of the normally prevailing Westerlies, with some very nice sailing. The AIS is a wonderful safety device warning in time when a collision course threatened. But it gives authorities also the possibility to track boats. Under Wight we were stopped ands searched by the British Border Force and at the North Sea another time by the Dutch Coast Guard. Both knew where we were coming from and where we had been. But it's good to start sailing in home waters again.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

rvivian

Re: Atlantic Crossing

Post by rvivian »

Hans -

Sounds like you had a good trip. Thanks for posting, I've been wondering how it went.

As for an AIS transponder - probably not a replacement for an EPIRB.

RWV
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Hans

Re: Atlantic Crossing

Post by Hans »

No certainly not. The AIS transponder, working on a VHF channel, warns for other ships ( as long as they have an AIS transponder and have it switched on, which they don't always, as I found out in the Caribbean Sea with a large commercial tanker sailing under the flag of Venezuela ) when there is risk for a collision course. The EPIRB on the other hand is a emergency transmitter which alarms Coastguard etc, its signal is picked up by satellites. You have to switch it on in case of an emergency. I see the EPIRB as a necessary safety device, the AIS as a real help while sailing in not to crowded waters. When you (day-)sail while there are other boats around, you obviously keep a keen lookout. Sailing longer distances you don't do a constant lookout, there are other things to do as well like cooking, etc. It's nice to have electronics warning there may be a collision course. During the last trip I had an AIS alarm while I was making coffee at night. I went outside and looked around; not a ship to see! Looking on the chart plotter which is in the cockpit, the AIS warned me for a ship which would be closer than 2 miles, but not before 35 minutes. I didn't see it yet because it was still over the horizon. Time enough to finish the coffee. I really like the AIS.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".