Suggestions for keeping my boat in Florida

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
AlanK

Suggestions for keeping my boat in Florida

Post by AlanK »

I have an F-33 in Boston. We recently moved to Florida but I haven't decided wether to sail the boat down and keep it here or sell it. I have previously sailed boats south both offshore and on the intracoastal and I lived on one in Melbourne FL for 5 years and also cruised it in the bahamas/islands. I now live in south florida between Lake Worth and Ft. Lauderdale (not near the water, about 8 miles inland). Up in New England there were plenty of short sails or week or so trips of interest. Down here I'm not so sure. Seems like its just in and out of an inlet or a multi week trip to the Bahamas.
Anyone that sails in this area have any suggestions on sailing grounds or best areas/places to keep the boat? If anyone has kept their boat in the Bahamas or in the Carribean and travelled to it to use it periodically I'd also be interested in feedback on that.
Thanks,
Alan

sailmon

Re: Suggestions for keeping my boat in Florida

Post by sailmon »

It's on the wrong side of the state and probably quite a drive from your home - but we just got back from visiting my brother who lives at Burnt Store Marina (between Punta Gorda and Fort Myers). It's a 500 slip marina on Charlotte Harbor - which opens to the gulf. Nice calm water sailing in the harbor when the wind pipes up, easy access to the Gulf - 11 NM from marina and nice barrier islands to visit. We chartered a boat for a couple of days and had a blast.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

I understand the thought process growing up in CT. From the New Haven Yacht Club there were a variety of towns and Islands within a weekends sail. Even big cities in a week trip.
I currently live in North East Florida. My boat is still on the Florida west coast on Tampa Bay. I planned to bring it around slowly, but in part because of lack of engine confindence, my wife's lack of desire to sleep at anchor we have left it in Tampa Bay. But the positive reasons to be there. A large Bay. Large cities on the bay. Small towns nearby. Barrier islands to sail around. Winter is milder and shorter. And I have a brother there. Besides fun being with him he likes projects.

The rewards this weekend. A couple day sails. Light winds. Not many sea miles traveled, but manatees at our slip, Big Redfish feeding at our slip, Rays skipping across the turning basin, Tarpon rolling. Dolphins at the bow....anchoring for a swim at passage key...a sandbar at the southern channels out of tampa bay with a couple other sailors and scores of power boaters in the blue green water for a rest and swim.

Florida sailing is different. Greater miles between harbors? Different styles of waterfront development? Different marsh smells? But I have sailed every month his year and think have only worn a coat once...and foul weather gear once.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

Alan ~ Sounds like you are a destination sailor. Other than darting in and out of the inlets, there are not many destinations in your area to be had. With that said, don't rule out the upper Florida Keys. Find a comfortable place in Key Largo or nearby to base your weekend sails. While it's not NE gunkholing, it's 50% of a Bahamas trip but much closer to home. Then when you have weeks to spend you can rocket across to the BI. Just a thought.
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72