New Freedon 25 owner checking in

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
GeoffSchultz

Re: New Freedon 25 owner checking in

Post by GeoffSchultz »

It looks like you've done a great job at restoring her. Good job!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Wow! Great job. I really enjoyed the F25 I had for 10 yrs. Based in Vancouver, BC, we sailed down into Puget Sound, San Juans, Gulf Islands and up to Desolation Sound.

There's a group of PNW Freedom owners who get together most summers. We're gathering in Kingston July 31 to August 2. I can send your email address to the organizer if you're interested.

Tricia
F30 "Muse II"
Vancouver, BC

GreenG20t

Post by GreenG20t »

Yes please, that would be awesome. I used to live in Kingston and I'd go even if the boat is not ready by then.

GreenG20t

Post by GreenG20t »

Super excited that the winches were able to be saved. It'd amazing how much gunk can get inside the drum. A thorough cleaning and application of some Lewmar winch grease and a dab of machine oil for the pawls and she spins free as the wind. Free spooling winches and ratchet block main sheet I can't wait.

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Welcome and good luck with your Freedom. Looks like you are making good progress on her. Can I ask you, what is that discoloration on the deck and what are you using to clean it up ? I ask because it appears to look like the lichen that has covered much of a Contest 29 that I am restoring and wonder the best way to remove it\.
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

Congrats and welcome!
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

GreenG20t

Post by GreenG20t »

midnightsailor wrote: Can I ask you, what is that discoloration on the deck and what are you using to clean it up ? I ask because it appears to look like the lichen that has covered much of a Contest 29 that I am restoring and wonder the best way to remove it\.
I am using a cheap electric pressure washer to remove 99% of the gunk. The rest is pure baking soda, scrub brush, and elbow grease. It's amazing that I haven't had to resort to any harsh chemicals.

balloucoon

Post by balloucoon »

I expect to be sailing in August and I'm interested in the gathering. (Balloucoon@gmail.com)

GreenG20t

Post by GreenG20t »

Still searching for an engine. What size are people running on their boats and what would you recommend. Previously she had a 4 stroke 9.9hp Honda but it was difficult to keep then prop from cavitating even in mild seas. Looking for extra long shaft.

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

The issue you may find with extra long shaft is keeping the lower unit (prop, skeg, etc) out of the water when all is quiet in your berth or mooring. You will almost surely have to park the motor in a tilt-up configuration, which may be fine, but may not be, e.g. if you want to berth stern-to. Also, not to be overlooked is the weight of 120+ pounds hanging off a transom that was designed for a 50 lb 2-stroke 7hp; transom reinforcement is probably in order. If you go this route, you may find that a lot of the time you will be dragging tranny under sail unless you put your crew well forward of the cockpit area. My experience was that in almost any sea state that caused us to hobby-hourse enough that the Honda 9.9 was cavitating, we were faster and more stable under sail. My advice: 1) If you want to go cheap, try and find an old 2-stroke 7. 2) If you want a "new" motor that is still on the cheap side, get one of the 4-stroke 1cyl 6's. 3) If you want to splurge, get a Torqeedo 24v motor + Torqueedo battery. Bottom line: what works best for these boat is 6-7 hp outboard, with standard long shaft, and as flat a pitch on the prop as you can get. Anything more powerful or longer shaft is only useful in conditions when the boat is better sailed than motored. Don't even think about inboard option.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake