New Freedon 25 owner checking in

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
GreenG20t

Re: New Freedon 25 owner checking in

Post by GreenG20t »

Still waiting on an engine. I have spent the last few weeks cleaning the cabin and spit polishing various bits. In my last attempt to pump the bilge the ole gusher 10 pump has stopped pulling water so a rebuild is in order. I still need to clean up her sails and then clean and lube the mast Track and slugs. Tonight I finished sanding and put the first coat of finish on the tiller. The old yellow pine disintegrated many years ago.

Does anyone know what the original tiller handle was made of or even have a pictute? I can't believe the one that was on her 15 years ago was the original, as it was so ugly.

GreenG20t

Post by GreenG20t »

New tiller is on and works great.
Ended up getting 15 sail master. The thing is remarkably light, much lighter than the 10 Honda 4 stroke that was on her before. The extra long shaft works out great. I was able to take her out for a spin around the harbor under power. It was great to be back on the water, but I would much prefer to sail.
Still need to replace the main sheet and come up with a solution to the gooseneck coming off the mast. From my reading I believe the gooseneck should be riveted to the mast is this correct? I need to figure out a solution. I do not like that T-bolt clamp because it may be constricting and crushing fibers. I have thought about making a larger plate similar to the original and riveting it in place. Anyone have some input?

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

GreenG20t wrote:Still waiting on an engine. I have spent the last few weeks cleaning the cabin and spit polishing various bits. In my last attempt to pump the bilge the ole gusher 10 pump has stopped pulling water so a rebuild is in order. I still need to clean up her sails and then clean and lube the mast Track and slugs. Tonight I finished sanding and put the first coat of finish on the tiller. The old yellow pine disintegrated many years ago.

Does anyone know what the original tiller handle was made of or even have a pictute? I can't believe the one that was on her 15 years ago was the original, as it was so ugly.
The ugly one on my boat was made from Teak. I found out it should be 48" long :o . I made a new one from a 3X3 teak post. The tiller is straight with a slope to the tip on the bottom side. I will add a picture, once I take one... :shock: I varnished it with 8 layers.
Randy Clark
Kimberly F-25 CFM 1982 Hull #56
TISC Mallets Bay
Colchester, Vermont

GreenG20t

Post by GreenG20t »

It's been far too long since I did anything on the boat. New babies have that effect.
I have the batteries and charger all sorted. The only thing keeping me in the slip is that stupid gooseneck to mast plate and oh about a grand worth of running rigging. :o