Virgin Islands

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
THATBOATGUY

Virgin Islands

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Looks like I'll be in the Virgin Islands later this month to pick up a Tayana 37 and bring it home. The boat is somewhere on Tortolla. We will fly into STT and we have a Bavaria that belongs to a friend we can flop on and putz around until the closing on the Tayana. My buddy is looking for a good rib dinghy and outboard if anyone knows of one for sale anywhere in the Virgin Islands let us know please. Also would love to meet as many fellow Freedom owners as possible. Let us know. Kerri might only be over for a week or so before she has to come back. She lifted a print off of a get-away car that's going to be the one piece of evidence that puts a very bad man away for life (or worse) and they need her here. :( My friend and I will press on bringing the yacht home, possibly all the way to the Chess Bay and this time it's more of a fun trip than a delivery so we can take our sweet time and kill those lobsters and groupers back a little bit along the way. :) Side trip to St Croix (just because it's a reach both ways!) then Puerto Rico, Bahamas then ???

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

marno

Re: Virgin Islands

Post by marno »

I'm thinking of a new name for you George, and it starts with ummmmm B..........

I'll be down that way come Christmas time, can't wait.
Marno

F39 Express

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Bill and Georgia Schroer used to maintain the Freedom fleet in Tortola. I have no idea if they're still there. I'll put out a feeler.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

GeoffSchultz wrote:Bill and Georgia Schroer used to maintain the Freedom fleet in Tortola. I have no idea if they're still there. I'll put out a feeler.

-- Geoff
There is a whole fleet there? Cool!

George

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

George,

If you're looking for Freedom people, look up Bill and Georgia Schroer, who used to maintain the Freedom fleet. Their e-mail address is bandgyachts "at" surfbvi.com

I kept BlueJacket with them for the 1 year that I was there.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

rmidgley

Post by rmidgley »

George, As you know, we will be meeting in Soper's Hole. Bill and Georgia care for our boat plus a number of others, including several Freedoms. They each worked at the Freedom factory for 15 years. They know the Freedom inside out - a wonderful couple. I already told them you were coming to visit and that I would introduce you.

- Rees

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Very kind of you Reese. We are really looking forward to this. The weather here has warmed a bit (February Thaw) but looks like it will turn down again before we leave just to provide a nice contrast.

I fly down on the 23rd and Kerri is following on the 26th. We will be putzing around the VIs for a couple weeks before we begin meandering North.

Depending on if and how fast H.R. 874 passes we might bag Cuba on the way home. Keep your fingers crossed. If not this spring then perhaps this fall on our own boat.

George

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

And here we are. We cruised in here and took up a mooring and so far so good. We met Rees and his beautiful wife and got the tour of his beautiful home. He is building a really awesome hard chine dinghy. He was also kind enough to make us the best cup of coffee I've had since I was last in Central America and even drove us to Nanny Cay when all we really needed was a lift to the taxi. Looking forward to meeting Bill and Georgia, perhaps tomorrow. We are just having too much fun, I might explode.

George

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Please say hi to Bill and Georgia for me. The looked after BlueJacket the 2nd year that I owned her.

--
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I had a great but too short chat with Bill yesterday. He is the first to confirm that there were some 40's built with iron center boards... I'm NOT crazy. Or at least I'm not *that* crazy... heh heh Wish I could spend several days over there talking story. Unfortunately, Kerri comes in tonight on the Ferry and we all leave in the early morning for STT. Got some documentation to take care of, provisioning etc...

It was really fantastic having Reese and Jane here to help us. They are a great couple.

George