Articles on Freedoms from UK's Yachting Monthly Sep 09

Crossjack

Articles on Freedoms from UK's Yachting Monthly Sep 09

Post by Crossjack »

Hi Everyone,

Yachting Monthly have published this article on Freedoms built. I am disappointed with what was written about our boat - a Freedom 33 as I feel it is misrepresented as it was made in Cornwall, UK in 1989 and its sloop!

If anyone else has any comments on their Freedom - let me know and I will let YM know to put things straight!

2 pages attached. Let me know what you think!

Emma
Crossjack - Freedom 33
Attachments
freedom2.jpg
freedom2.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 12022 times
freedom1.jpg
freedom1.jpg (134.69 KiB) Viewed 12028 times

Michel

Re: Articles on Freedoms from UK's Yachting Monthly Sep 09

Post by Michel »

Well, there's a lot to say about the article, and the first thing is that their research has not been very thorough, as can be expected for a short summation like this. There is obviously missing a lot. And Freedom is out of business for quite a while now. They should not have overlooked that fact.

What surprises me most, is the derogatory mention sentence 'the accommodation is excellent although somewhat American in it's layout' of the F40. Being Dutch, and having seen lots of both US and UK built Freedoms inside and out, I can say without prejudice that the Americans have a much better feeling of how to layout heads and galleys; they are roomier and much more functional. And I must add that the American quality of workmanship is higher than the British.

I always found it odd that on my UK built F33/35ck they put the galley at the companionway and shoved the chart table almost into the forecabin. In the days we used paper charts and fixed VHFs at the chart table, I ran miles up and down the companionway to and fro to the chart table. In the last few UK built F33/35cks they corrected this and exchanged galley and chart table.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Agree, their research is pretty naff. I have been waiting ages for YM to get to the F's - and therefore Freedoms and knew I would be disappointed.

Are there not also other Freedom yachts in the range - a F25, F30, F32 and F37? (pls correct me on this...)

Have to admit our Cornish F33 built boat was pretty well made in 1989, but havent seen any of the US built boats yet to compare it with. Actually I have only ever seen one other F33 in the UK (in Ramsgate about 4 years ago and it was a few years old than Crossjack), though there are other Freedoms around in the Solent which is definately good so we know we are not completely alone!

Emma
Crossjack F33, Southampton UK

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

Isn't that the same "winter pic" that George posted of his boat a while back? I didn't see any attribution for it, but I hope he at least got recognized in there somewhere.

I'm with y'all on the "sniffy" British arrogance dismissing the interior as "somewhat American"...so WHAT?? It's an American BOAT...in fact, the logo was the same as that of the American Bi-Centennial...and we all know what THAT "freedom" represents, don't we? I suppose that the Brit's would have put the companionway on the left (the same way they drive), and had a coal stove and button-tufted dark green velvet upholstery as "standard"...along with horsehair stuffing in the cushions, perhaps.

Beyond that, the "archetypal" cat ketch (by MY definition of archetype) would have been the F40...not the later-built 33/35, and, unless the F-40's have been cloning themselves, there aren't "several hundred" of them anywhere. I own Hull #61, laid in 1981...Mark Edwards told me that #63 was the last one off the line.

Michel

Post by Michel »

John,

Let's not forget YM is a British magazine, so not surprisingly the focus is on the UK built and sold Freedoms. All other models were imported from the US by individuals. Apart from the coal stove I disagree; the British layout and decoration is less luxurious than the American, so perhaps green upholstery with buttons, but with 'economy' fabric and filling. And you forgot to mention the paraffin cooker with toastmaker option.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Hi All,

What's wrong with horse hair anyway - I always thought the bunks were a little scratchy!!

Putting aside which country is best (UK of course 8-) except for some magazine editors), I now know that in 1976 Freedom Yachts started with a Freedom 40 Cat Ketch. After that there appears to be a F-21, F-25, F-29, F-32, F-33 and F-44 so YM have clearly missed of a few. I just want to put the magazine straight, since if they write crap, any future owner will think Freedoms are crap - which of course we all know they are not.

I didnt want to start an international relations incident about who makes the best boats! Honest...

Emma
F33 Southampton, UK

Michel

Post by Michel »

I agree Emma, and apologise / apologize for contributing to the controversy. There must be an extensive list somewhere on this site or on the other one on Yahoo Groups with all the Freedom models and their building period and characteristics. I can add the F36 sloop, F38 sloop (F36 with sugarscoop transom), the F39 pilothouse schooner and the F39 Express ketch. There is also an F65 three mast schooner, Kriter Lady II, an Ostar entrant. And there seems to be a design for a Freedom 50' catketch with 15 m3 cargo hold between the masts.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey! They published my photo of our boat without permission! Freakin' internet pirates!

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Emma, you would be a complete darling if you could snag a copy of that magazine for us. It's only the second time I've been published, credit or no.

And... I'm afraid to even tell you what color our upholstery is! heh heh I saw the picture and freaqued out before I read anyone else's responses. Good catch John.

Michel, I didn't know you were Dutch, your English is much better than mine so that should have been a clue. You make my fifth Dutch friend and all of you sailors!

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Michel

Post by Michel »

George,

Green buttoned upholstery is nice! sure makes you feel as if you are in a stage coach. My next upholstery will be royal blue with embroidered gold French lillies and matching buttons every 4 inches. :lol:

Thanks for complimenting on my use of English, but I feel I still have to learn a lot more of the finesses. E.g. the correct use of someone, somebody, anyone and anybody keeps on puzzling me. I searched for a language guide on this, but haven't found one yet.