CamberSpar (4).jpg
CamberSpar (4).jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 15549 times
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

JohnReinagel

Re: Camber Spar Information

Post by JohnReinagel »

Thanks Alan, I have seen that which was very helpful in getting it rigged, but it doesn't address some of the unusual issues found on the actual set up.

What I found is to get the tack and first hank onto the stay I need to keep the sheet loose and then manually push the camber spar sheave up the stay to about where it sits when the sail has been hoisted and then I have enough slack to pull the tack to it's mount. It's just not very friendly and if you were out in heavy seas and needed to douse the sail there would still be more sail up than wanted because the camber spar could not drop very far if at all since the tack would still be connected. It is this that is my concern, it's not always appropriate to go to the bow in rough seas.

It could be that this is all normal for the camber spar set up, I am hoping someone will confirm or be able to say change this or that and the results will be something more user friendly. As you set yours up I'll be interested in knowing if you have a similar experience. I do have to admit though, now that I have the sail on the camber spar properly (last year I lashed it to the hooks tightly since I could not get the eyes onto the hooks alone) I do like the sail shape much better, not that I can say I see a difference in performance but then I have not had an opportunity to sail to weather yet, that's where I would expect to see the improvement.

Thank you Alan, I appreciate article.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

John;

If I'm understanding your note you seem to be putting the jib on the camber each time you sail (I apologize if I misunderstood). I think the norm is to put it on in the spring and take it off in the fall. There are no issues of installing it under at sea conditions.

My practice is to connect the luff to the forestay as well as the fore end of the camberspar. I then partially raise the sail (no tension on it) swing the camber so it is concave down and hook the aft end horns into the sail. Sometimes I can get the last and tightest hole but more frequently second to the end. Don't know if this helps but that was the intention.

Best of luck
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Hi Ed and thank you for responding,

My apologies if I haven't made the issue clear. No way would I attempt to place it on and off the camber spar each time I sail, spring and fall only as you state. (it's difficult enough at those times lol)

Unless I manually push the stay end of the camber spar up to where it rests when the sail is hoisted I cannot get the tack nor the first hank connected (after all it is basically a scalene triangle with the long length being the camber spar). Alternately when dropping the sail it will not drop to the deck unless I remove the tack and first hank, then the sail and camber spar can drop as far as possible. Like I said, maybe this is typical of the arrangement but I'm looking for confirmation that it is or isn't. I sail in adverse conditions all the time as I actually enjoy it, but there are time I would like to drop the jib without having to go forward as I am almost always sailing alone in those conditions. Let's not focus on that please, I know the risks, which is one reason I'd like to know if what I am experiencing is "normal" for the jib/camber spar. I see no possible way that the sail could be resting at deck and have the tack and first hank on while the camber spar is resting level near the deck without having the stay so loose that it's total movement in terms of slack would be measured in feet not inches. It is set up as all documentation shows, it's a procedural question really.

If the stay does need to be that slack, then the stay will rest against the bow pulpit which just doesn't seem correct as it would lead to excessive wear quickly.

The set up is as it was when I purchased the boat last year, so maybe the sail is cut incorrectly, maybe the camber spar is an incorrect length, maybe the stay is too tight, or may it's just the way it's supposed to be. If what I am experiencing is typical, I have an idea I may try which will allow me to resolve those issues from the cockpit, but I only want to implement that if my set up procedure is in fact correct. I appreciate any further comments or helpful insight.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

SunnyIsleMark

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

Hi John- from your description, I’d guess that your forestay is a bit too tight. You are correct about the stay rubbing on the pulpit and some sort of rolling cover on that part of the stay should address the issue. Here is a shot of my setup. The stay is noticeably deflected at the intersection with the camberspar. (I also plan to increase the spar tension next season to eliminate some of the spar sleeve sail wrinkles).
Mark
Attachments
9DC4909D-50E8-4A31-953D-9C9444C79997.jpeg
9DC4909D-50E8-4A31-953D-9C9444C79997.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 4413 times