freedom 33 wishbone rig

scott

freedom 33 wishbone rig

Post by scott »

we have just purchased a freedom 33 1981, it has the original wishbone rig. It has been on the hard for 3 years, looking a little dirty but with a bit of tlc we think she will be great. The sails however are a little sad, we know that a lot of people changed the rig, we would love to find some used sails in good condition. This is a whole new experience for us as we have been French boat fans for a while and circumnavigated on a dufour 41. Any info on this boat would be good to have. hilary/joel

cmaxwell
Location: freedom catketch wishbone-centerboard 1981 tollotson & pearson inc.

Re: freedom 33 wishbone rig

Post by cmaxwell »

Greetings - I also acquired a cat ketch - or ketch cat Freedom - it measures 28 and change overall but with the transom hung rudder and a small anchor roller bowsprit it could get up to 30ft. The sails say freedom 30 the layout is for a 28 from what I can get off the net.

I also have a wishbone rig which took me days to figure out. My boat has a centerboard and also was manufactured in 1981. Previous owner had a long protracted fight with cancer and the boat sat at a slip in Jacksonville Fla for at least three years with out being pulled. Owner died in Dec and window knows nothing and had very little info. Very few 28s with my configuration were built - evidently just 25.

I replaced lines and halyards and sailed it up to Brunswick Ga, barnacles and all, where I have a place and aspire to take it out of the water and work on it. The sails have tears at batten caddies are dirty and blown out but I was able to adjust - an advantage of the wishbone. I am now in the process of freeing up the masts to pull them and get it out of water. I have lots of questions regarding the rig which I intend to research. As you know Freedom Yachts is no longer and for replacement issues or parts we are on our own but I hope this group web site can help. Wind dancer Sails in Jacksonville fla is a small shop that seem to be able to make anything for a reasonable price - I have used them in the past for new and repaired sails. phone # 904 384 3102. I assume the redundancy of the wish bone rig wouldn't throw them.

good luck with you boat and hope to touch base with you in the future.

Regards Max Creighton

Castaway

Re: freedom 33 wishbone rig

Post by Castaway »

Only ever seen one F30 (or 28 in its home country), but here's a couple of pictures of some lucky Swede running downwind whilst we were flogging the other way against a 1knot current. That mainsail looks shiny and new, and he was going much faster than us, with both sails set!
Attachments
Heading South
Heading South
F30-2.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Freedom cat ketch in South Baltic Sea
Freedom cat ketch in South Baltic Sea
F30-1.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland