Garry Hoyt's new rig

Links to manufacturers of hardware, electronics, etc
tomwales

Garry Hoyt's new rig

Post by tomwales »

For those interested in seeing what Garry's up to these days check out this link
http://www.garryhoyt.com/id19.html

Michel

Re: Garry Hoyt's new rig

Post by Michel »

Yeah, I've seen it and looked into it. It's the 3000 year old junk rig reinvented.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

Strange

I looked through the stuff and watched the video. He's talking about "wind not caring" where the centerline of the boat is...

Well, the wind might not care, but the occupants will care. Keel, or centerboard, makes no difference, the offset of the sail from the mast (which he's talking about needing to increase during the video) is going to make a difference in the heeling angle between port and starboard tacks.

The video shows an "unintentional jibe" onto the starboard tack (where the heel is going to be greater in given conditions), but the fact that he released the mainsheet during that "unintentional jibe" and allowed the sail to go WAY forward of where he had it sheeted on the other tack makes this, in my mind, something other than typical of an "unintentional jibe". Increasing that offset would only make things worse.

I'm not trying to run Hoyt down here..after all, he did "create" my Freedom 40 Cat Ketch, but I see this rig as an amusing oddball daysailing thing (character boat, I believe is the term), and not nearly at the level of innovation of any of his prior breakthroughs...the F40 & F44, the gun-mount spinnaker, or the jib-boom to name a few.

Michel

Post by Michel »

I agree that it seems to be an oddball boat, but I can't see why the heel would be different on each tack, provided the boat is balanced with some extra weight on the side opposite the sail. I suppose the boat will be level in the water with no wind.

An other hoyt innovation: the Hoyt-patented single line reefing system.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

Michel

Even if he overweighted the starboard side of the boat with enough ballast to counter the weight of the booms & sail (offset to port) in order to have the boat sit level in the water with no wind, the lever arm of the pressure of the wind in the sail against the resistance of the centerboard or weight of a keel increases as the distance away from the centerline increases to leeward.

It's the opposite effect of climbing up on the windward rail to increase the effectiveness of the "moveable ballast" on the boat (the occupants of the cockpit).

I've done enough "accidental gybes" in small boats to know that a capsize is an easy thing to do..."sailing by the lee" is not an easy thing in a bigger boat, but I do it all the time in my one-man-skimming-dish MX-Ray.