F28 CK Looking to purchase?Wear n Tear. CK how to sail

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
acupunk

F28 CK Looking to purchase?Wear n Tear. CK how to sail

Post by acupunk »

Hi guys Im looking at a 28 CK 84 no wishbone or CB. 3000 hrs Yanmar 20. I have years of experience on Freedom 25 and 30 sloop but have never sailed a Ketch much less a CK.
Any opinions on this boat and how it sails with this config. Freedoms I gather dont sail well close to wind. Downwind is the specialty from my experience esp with a gun mounted spinaker.
Had a Freedom 30 plaining in 40 knots following 12 to 13.

Any suggestions on my survey of likely problems of wear and tear. The rivets broke on the boom of the 25 in heavy seas. That was not fun trying to pull it down.
My buddy who taught me to sail owned these 2 and I love the Freedom quality and amazing room below and ease of sailing. Not going to travel much for the moment but found one and dont wanna let it escape.
I have sailed all over the Outer Banks of NC. Long Island and Southern California.

Looking forward to suggestions.

Thanks!

cbgatorman

Re: F28 CK Looking to purchase?Wear n Tear. CK how to sail

Post by cbgatorman »

Hi,

I have owned mine since 2014 and it is the easiest boat I have ever sailed. Flus off the wind. Send me an email at cbgatorman@yahoo.com with contact info. And we can talk. Sorry for delayed response as my old desktop crashed and access was lost. I sail in NC Me use river, Pamlico sound and some offshore to Cape Lookout.

Charlie B S/V Wings 1893 28CK booms and no cb.
Charlie B 1983 28 CK "Wings" New Bern North Carolina

Goose13

Post by Goose13 »

I went from a F21 to the F33ck/cb (Whish Bone., big sister to F28) and its the easiest boat I've ever sailed single handed. Took it up the coast from Oxnard CA to SF bay and she was like a tank even with the original sails and motor. Since then I've gone electric and got new sails. I love it, biggest problem I have is leaks at the deck to haul joint when it rains or the rail is in the water because I'm going to fast.
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
Do you think it might be the fasteners that are leaking. I believe the hull deck joint has 5200 caulk between and should not leak there. Howver the fasteners might be the issue? Best!