Freedom 32 DK Survey

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Frihet

Freedom 32 DK Survey

Post by Frihet »

I am having a 1984 F32 surveyed next Friday. I have researched the boat and love the simplicity. Hope the survey pans out. It has been on the he hard for a year up in Anacortes Washington. This worries me a bit given it hasn’t been wet for a while. Hoping to get any advice on that to look for.

RadioZephyr

Re: Freedom 32 DK Survey

Post by RadioZephyr »

Look for wet core underneath the opening port on the port side (inside the aft cabin). When they were built, TPI didn't remove any of the balsa core around the port—they just cut a hole, squirted some silicone, screwed in a Beckson portlight, and called it a day. The core around the port should have been removed and sealed with thickened epoxy to prevent water from getting into the surrounding balsa once the silicone failed. As a result, most F32's have a delta-shaped plume of wet core emanating from that window. The repair is pretty straightforward: the inner skin in affected area is cut out from the inside, the wet balsa is removed, new balsa is epoxied in, and the area is re-glassed. Not the end of the world, but definitely something to look for.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Frihet

Post by Frihet »

Thanks for the information! I will pay close attention to that.

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

When searching for my F32 I encountered that same sour spot mentioned above on FOUR boats before found a dry hull. Some were small areas but one had spread far an wide.
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

Frihet

Post by Frihet »

Survey this Friday. Thanks for the information. I also heard there are some exhaust issues, mainly the exhaust was restricted on it hat run from mid cabin to the stern.

Tom