Looking at a Freedom 39

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
briank

Re: Looking at a Freedom 39

Post by briank »

You're probably all right... Geoff for explaining that getting spares etc in the Carribean can be difficult (no experience myself but I've heard stories from friends, although one who bought a hurricane damaged boat seemed to fix it up OK), Michel for explaining that consumables are of course available outside the US (I've just about circumnavigated Europe and had no problems). If you need it you'll find it and get it or make it or get it made just about anywhere.

As to choosing a boat, well I bought a Sunbird 32 schooner junk more or less as a bare hull back in 1980 and spent the next 30+ years fitting her out, by which time my needs, attitudes, skills and energy had all changed. Whatever boat you buy it's unlikely to turn out 'right'. The best advice I ever read was from Lyn and Larry Pardey (they've written loads of books) who say 'just go in whatever boat you've currently got or catches your eye'. My 'admiral' and I sold the Sunbird last year - painful - but then fell for a Freedom 39 PHS which is now ours. Only sailed here once so far, and that with the previous owner. We love the layout, the brightness of the saloon, the clever features and the build quality. The rig is as yet an unknown, but as we're used to unstayed rigs if we don't get on with it we'll simply convert her to a junk schooner. The condensation from those big windows is a problem though - every feature of every boat seems to be both a plus and a minus.

Don't spend too long dreaming and scheming, Jobberone. Whilst driving to take over the F39 some guy drove into the back of us while we were doing 60 mph. No permanent damage (except to our little Seat Arosa which will soon be a pile of junk) but our dream could easily have been over.

Brian
F39 PHS
Plymouth, UK
F39 (1988) PHS 'Paradox'
Brighton Marina, UK

jobberone

Post by jobberone »

briank wrote:You're probably all right... Geoff for explaining that getting spares etc in the Carribean can be difficult (no experience myself but I've heard stories from friends, although one who bought a hurricane damaged boat seemed to fix it up OK), Michel for explaining that consumables are of course available outside the US (I've just about circumnavigated Europe and had no problems). If you need it you'll find it and get it or make it or get it made just about anywhere.

As to choosing a boat, well I bought a Sunbird 32 schooner junk more or less as a bare hull back in 1980 and spent the next 30+ years fitting her out, by which time my needs, attitudes, skills and energy had all changed. Whatever boat you buy it's unlikely to turn out 'right'. The best advice I ever read was from Lyn and Larry Pardey (they've written loads of books) who say 'just go in whatever boat you've currently got or catches your eye'. My 'admiral' and I sold the Sunbird last year - painful - but then fell for a Freedom 39 PHS which is now ours. Only sailed here once so far, and that with the previous owner. We love the layout, the brightness of the saloon, the clever features and the build quality. The rig is as yet an unknown, but as we're used to unstayed rigs if we don't get on with it we'll simply convert her to a junk schooner. The condensation from those big windows is a problem though - every feature of every boat seems to be both a plus and a minus.

Don't spend too long dreaming and scheming, Jobberone. Whilst driving to take over the F39 some guy drove into the back of us while we were doing 60 mph. No permanent damage (except to our little Seat Arosa which will soon be a pile of junk) but our dream could easily have been over.

Brian
F39 PHS
Plymouth, UK
Excellent advice. Carpe diem.

jobberone

Post by jobberone »

The waiting 'not too long' was more than excellent advice. It was almost prophetic. Got ill three or so weeks ago and just couldn't shake it. Had to leave town and of course got worse and ended up in the hospital. Lost 20 lbs and had many tests. Never found out what was wrong, got better but not well, and there I am.

So apologies to all the people who discussed my dream with me, the many people who offered info on their boats, and the couple who invited me to travel to Trinidad with them.

Not giving up but will need some more evaluation. Hope to see all of you somewhere and sometime soon.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Sorry to hear about the illness. Hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong and/or you'll just get better.

I certainly understand and appreciate the "don't wait too long" concept. Life is short and unpredictable. Grab it while you can.

And with this I leave you with the words of Mark Twain:
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the things that you did do.
So throw off the bow lines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover.
Good words to live by.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jobberone

Post by jobberone »

GeoffSchultz wrote:Sorry to hear about the illness. Hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong and/or you'll just get better.

I certainly understand and appreciate the "don't wait too long" concept. Life is short and unpredictable. Grab it while you can.

And with this I leave you with the words of Mark Twain:
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the things that you did do.
So throw off the bow lines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover.
Good words to live by.

-- Geoff
Thanks for the kind words. Don't see how it could be serious as they scanned, probed, inserted, yada every orifice plus. You can't kill me anyway.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Speedy recovery to you. And if I may, a positive vision of the future can go a long way in helping out with that. So clutch that dream ever the tighter my friend, and we will see you out there.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage