light winds ok for a freedom 40?

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
brunocean

light winds ok for a freedom 40?

Post by brunocean »

hi, just join the forum. I am seriously looking for my next boat, and recently have been seduced by the Freedom 40. I will be sailing between thailand and malaysia where the average wind is...10 knots so i need a boat that sail under light conditions. How is the freedom 40 in 5 to 10 knots wind? I have read she does great in strong winds, but what about the light ones? I come from the multihull world and i am very attracted by the simplicity of the self stand masts. Thanks!

THATBOATGUY

Re: light winds ok for a freedom 40?

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Welcome to the Forum.

Actually I've seen a Freedom 40 that is running charters down in Thailand. If you google around a bit you can't miss it. If I get a moment today I'll dig around and see if I can find her also. Maybe going for a charter will tell you all you need eh?

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

charter freedom 40 thailand, that was easy!

http://www.island-cruises.org/yacht-cha ... fargo.html

Good luck.

George

brunocean

Post by brunocean »

thank for the link...
I see you have one of these 40'...?
So how does she goes in light air?

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Ask me again in a couple months! We have only sailed her once and that was in moderate air. My understanding is that a mizzen staysail is a nice thing to have. I know that there is a Don Street article buried somewhere in our pages here that describes the sailing abilities of the Freedom 40 and that could be a big help to you in your decision making. Also consider that the Freedom 40 is a hall of fame boat. :)

George

Michel

Post by Michel »

Consider a suit of mizzen staysails mandatory in light winds. But you can only use them effectively from 65 or so degrees of apparent wind. for more upwind performance in light airs you would need a jib in front of the mainsail and/or huge main and mizzen sails.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.