Interested in a Freedom 40

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
nikko

Interested in a Freedom 40

Post by nikko »

Hi all,

Its good to see some chat on the Freedom 40, particularly so much positive feedback.

We are looking at a Freedom 40 here in Aus and I had a few queries if I may.

Is the hull made of balsa core composite? Deos that cause any rot problems?

Also, what is life like with a centreboard, I had one on my last yacht (25', not a freedom) which was a constant pain, so much so i got rid of it.
Are freedom 40 centreboards different? There seems to be some discussion on how they are fixed and pivot, if teh board on the yacht i am looking at needs servicing is this a major job?

The one I am look at also has a rear cabin and centre cockpit but no link between the 2 below, how deos this work out in practise when living aboard?

We wish to liveaboard while coastal cruisin onteh east coast of Australia, then later maybe take the boat to Sth pacific, vauatu, fiji etc any comments about how F40's handle heavy weather?

thank you in advance.

Nikko

GeoffSchultz

Re: Interested in a Freedom 40

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Nikko,

I split your question away from the discussion on the Freedom 40/40, which is a different boat.

Regarding your questions on he balsa core: While I haven't had any issues with my 40/40, some people have had problems with water intrusion. Make sure that you have the boat surveyed to make sure that it doesn't have any issues.

And while I can't address the heavy weather handling of the 40, the 40/40 handles it well. My crew on the other hand... :-)

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

strathcarron

Post by strathcarron »

I have a Freedom 40 centre cockpit. To answer your question about the layout - as always on a boat it's a compromise. Pluses are:

Enormous cockpit - great for entertaining, general space
Low cockpit - good feeling of security in storms
Privacy - aft cabin with head like a guest cottage for friends staying or stateroom for owners accordingly
Aft buoyancy - good in following sea - I'm not sure if the aft cockpit is not just as good, but...
Poop deck - extra sunbathing space

Minus: you get wet commuting if it's raining. (If you sail in a sensible climate hardly a problem)

Your other question is about bad weather - she's a good 'un and will look after you well. People always ask about - and comment on - the unusual rig, but for me the real star of the boat is the hull. We've never fallen off a wave yet, or been frightened in a following sea. Best not to look up at the masts flapping around when the going gets rough, but if you do just say 'Boeing' to yourself and have faith. Reef nice and early. One thing though if like mine she has a fixed keel - bow thrusters are essential, especially going backwards in a modern marina/car park!

Good luck, you won't be disappointed.

s/y Vasco da Gama
Kemer, Turkey
http://www.strathcarrons-ahoy.com

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Our Freedom 40 S/V Marquesa is also the center cockpit version. We like all the same things that Ian likes about Vasco de Gama. For us the privacy and good use of space are more important than an inside passageway. We somewhat solved the problem getting from one cabin to the next in a rain by installing a "T" top. That will probably become an enclosure this spring as I've added a canvas guy to our gultching group. I'll be posting some photos of the top soon. I can't speak to the centerboard being a bother or the rough weather sailing from first hand. But there is a book written by a couple who circumnavigated in a Freedom 40 and it's on our shelf ready for our cruise.

Most importantly, if you purchase a Freedom 40 for cruising in OZ it will be yet another compelling reason for Kerri and I to make it down there with our Freedom 40 for a rendezvous. :)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

George

About that book...who wrote it,and what is the name of it?

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Ooops,

My bad. It was a Freedom 39 schooner rig.

Sailing in Grandfather's WakeImage

George

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

And don't forget... Hall of Fame

George

snyman

Post by snyman »

Hi, Nikko,
I lived onboad a freedom 40 black magic II and crossed the southern pacific Aboard her. She may be the same boat you are looking at. the last I heard our old girl was living it up in the Whitsundays.
As posted earlier they are great boats to cruise and the fact my father circumnavigated the globe with her is testament to her seaworthiness.

Key concerns you may have
1: you cannot sail an un-modified freedom 40 with a binami under full sail. however the majority of coastal sailing you can sail with the main and keep a awning up and the yacht is so fast she will keep up with most Benatau 35-40 with just the one sail... especially down wind. I have seen some variations where they have raised the missen sail up the mast of accommodate a binami.
2: YOu do get wet in rain when traveling to the aft cabin but the privacy is great and the engine room is a godsend especially when you open the hatch and get a nice fresh breeze into the engine room.
3: With the conventional wrap around sail your efficiency is excellent and she will point very well and fast and reefing is very fast and effective however in a blow the last bit of sail can be a struggle to get down if you are not directly into the wind but if it is raining everything will be very easy, the extra weight makes it simple...ish but we have sailed into Townsvile without an engine (blown ehaust manifold) under sail doing 9kts and dropped all of the sails with just 3 on board and had the perfect stop and sailing onto and off the anchor is a dream due to the ease of sailing with this rig
4: in very large seas ie 50ft plus and wind 60knots plus you can get water into the cockpit but the 4 drains empty the huge cockpit in 1 min but you must check the communication from the cockpit lockers are closed and no fool has tut the seal to place wires through or you learnt the hard way ie water into the nav station but closing the connection fixed this problem

Black magic specific:
If this is the boat you are looking at you need to check how old the sails are as we had clapped out the sails and as far as we know they have not been replaced and they really need it. (if you buy her please do this for her)
Check if the centre board has been replaced. It was lost in the panama to galapagos crossing and she sails well without it but not as well as she did before it broke away - (damage from hitting a whale)
This boat is VERY solid and a dream to own. Unfortunately we had finished our travels and had to sell the boat but all I can say is the freedom 40 is the most seaworthy yacht I have ever sailed.

THE MECHANIC

Post by THE MECHANIC »

I have just spent a few hours with a surveyor aboard black magic II with a view to purchase and unfortunately I have to say she is in a very sorry state...She has been advertised as having a full cruising keel with a 3.0 m center board... however when inspecting the lowering /raising arangement the tackle was there but no center board!!!!!! Synman says this was "lost" mid pacific but according to the agent they and the current owner had no knowledge of this.Have there been any other cases of centerboards being lost at sea and how does losing 2 tons of ballast affect the design stability? most modern yachts would either fall over or at least become unsailable and the windward abilty would be abysmal. Where does one start to "Find" another centerboard or at least the engineering drawings for one

nikko

Post by nikko »

Hi List,

Many thanks or your postings, this sort of knowledge is gold. I know its been a while since I made the first post, but you know how work is.

Anyway, have quit the job now and am looking for a yacht.

Black Majic was the one we were considering so great to see comments from people who know her.

Would be interested on comments about fitting a new centreboard to her.

thanks

Nikko