Center board locking systems?

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
CrazyRU

Re: Center board locking systems?

Post by CrazyRU »

numbknots wrote:There was a man and wife from this area in fl that never came back from a trip to bahamas they were in a new freedom 44 I beleive. This was several yrs ago, Many think they rolled that boat in gulf stream and the centerboard came crashing through the trunk. Who knows, maybe a freighter got them. Numbknots
Yeah, and I have heard this story about man and wife in Florida didn't come back on Freedom 36. Wind was so high that mast start vibrating and hull went into self destructing resonance, tearing hull-to-deck joint wide open... Nobody has ever seen them again...
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

Sorry boys I probably have some facts wrong on the size of the vessel. But I know this they aint back yet. Sea stories??????

I do like the vibrating masts rendition, that was a good one. Wish I had heard that one when I was trying to pull my masts out of the deck after botching up the spartite job around the masts. Maybe that would have relaeased them. Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

Michel

Post by Michel »

CrazyRU wrote:Yeah, and I have heard this story about man and wife in Florida didn't come back on Freedom 36. Wind was so high that mast start vibrating and hull went into self destructing resonance, tearing hull-to-deck joint wide open... Nobody has ever seen them again...
Interesting......but how did the story end up on shore if the couple didn't....?... :roll:
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

This urban(?) myth was discussed at some length in "another place" ( the old Freedom forum), after one potential owner was told, by a rival broker, that the vessel was lost because the whipping of the main mast separated the hull/deck join at the bow, causing it to be lost without trace. Michel raises the only pertinent comment here!

With regard to the strength of the centreboard, I must confess to hitting a Finnish rock at about 4 knots this summer; it was about 1.2m below the surface and the c/b moulding was split from top to bottom. The casing was undamaged, and the pivot still functioned ( I don't yet know if it was intact or not, as the yard is not very forthcoming). These boats are very solid, and I suspect would survive a knockdown with the board lowered. However, the PO, who had a knockdown in mid-Atlantic, used to raise the board halfway in severe weather, to reduce this risk. He was a very experienced sailor, and I would trust his judgment on the matter, if I was ever out in weather that bad. Running before is probably the optimal solution, and one can raise the board fully in that case with no detriment to performance.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

phildowney

Post by phildowney »

hi i have a centreboard lock made by a previous owner that consists of two lumps of delrin with holes in and a bolt , that fits in a hole in the back of the board
i guess the idea is that a diver fits it before transoceanic passages.
phil.
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

PO of our F33/35 had a major knock down in an Atlantic storm, and the CB didn't join them in the cabin. He told me he would raise the board half way in severe weather to reduce the risk. Happily, I"ve never been near such a situation. I think the article from Yachting Monthly is on this site somewhere: look for "Castaway's Knockdown". The board does clunk a bit in a seaway, but nothing serioous seems to come of it.

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland