Freedom 36 Performance

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
reeder100

Freedom 36 Performance

Post by reeder100 »

I am interested in a freedom 36 and would like to know about sailing performance. Does anyone know of a polar diagram for this model. I have seen the 44 C/K polar that is somewhere in the forum but am wondering about the 36. If not a full-on polar diagram, what about some performance metrics, eg. upwind in 12kts true, she'll point... and go...?

Also, how does she sail with just the main (if your in the mood to just kickback)?

any other input on this model is much appreciated, thanks

CrazyRU

Re: Freedom 36 Performance

Post by CrazyRU »

You can look at US PHRF handicap numbers and compare the boat's performance. USSailing is maintaining the database
http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets/Of ... dicaps.pdf
Lower number indicates better performing boat
Here are some average numbers for popular models

BAVARIA 36 135
BENETEAU OCEANIS 361 138
BENETEAU OCEANIS 36CC 147
BRISTOL 35.5 150
C&C 35 LANDFALL 159
CAL 36 150
CATALINA 350 147
CATALINA 36 144

ERICSON 36 CR 189

FREEDOM 36 141

You can see that Freedom 36 performs just inline with modern cruising boats.

I have sailed my friend's F36. It is very good boat. She does everything well, She sails upwind a lot better than my Cat Ketch.

You may also find interesting this article from Practical Sailor
PS0409_BR-Spur30s.pdf
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 782 times
And yes you can sail it with just main sail up. Jib is small and it doesn't affect the boat's trim.

The boat is designed for kickbacking and relaxing. It is so easy to sail. Also, because mast is placed forward, boom is ending just aft of cabin and all sail controls and traveler is on the cabin. There is no loose ropes or any controls in cockpit or around it...
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard