sails andd rigging/ Mast climber caution

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
numbknots

sails andd rigging/ Mast climber caution

Post by numbknots »

I thought this might be of some interest, the use of mast climber caution. While I was installing my new sail tracks on 28ck I borrowed a climber from a friend. After getting the "hang" of it and becoming comfortable at top of mast for a few hrs I decided to come down. Once on deck again I started coiling up the gear and stowing it in its bag. As I came to the end of the line I scratched my head and wondered why the seat wasn't attatched. There in the end of the eye was the D-schackle without the pin. The seat was on the deck at my feet. OMG moment! I had tightened these before going up the mast but obvioiusly not enough. Seems as you use the clutches and the schackles move around they can come loose. Well I imediately safety wired all pins and wrote on strapings in large print with arrows CHECK. When I returned the climber to my friend and explained the Print on his climber his reply was,
"Well I guess it wasn't your time to die." So I've got that going for me...Nuff said Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

Michel

Re: sails andd rigging/ Mast climber caution

Post by Michel »

Yeah...glad you're still among us, Numbknots....climbers say never use shackles but tie a knot or use strong enough carabiners. A shackle carries its load on the pin, so the removable pin is essential. A carabiner carries its load on the main body even when the lid/gate/pin opens. I bought a heap of cheap galvanised steel carabiners with a screw-down hex gate. These are safe and darn cheap too; less than 3 euros. They call 'm Quick Links. Dynamic breaking load 2500 kgs (2.5 metric tons) so you could lift your truck with one.

http://www.klimwinkel.nl/catalog/quick-link-p-259.html

I never understood why the sailing community still uses shackles, which are inherently unsafe with their pins carrying the load.

Perhaps John Brougher from Texas could dial in and give a lecture; he used to be a member of a high rise rescue team so he really knows his stuff about climbing gear.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.