looking at F25 what should I look for at inspection?

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
yarrow

looking at F25 what should I look for at inspection?

Post by yarrow »

to the forum,
I'm new here, and I'm activly looking at F25's. I've had the pleasure of seeing 2 last summer and hope to see another in the next few weeks. does anybody have any suggestions of areas to look at during inspection. and or any signs of issues to look at? the boats seam to be really amazingly simple for the size with great storage and cabin usage. I look forward to your reply.
cheers,
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

harv17

Re: looking at F25 what should I look for at inspection?

Post by harv17 »

Yarrow;
Look at mine, which is for sale.
It has every thing that you need and is very good condition. It's on the hard now
and should be in the water in a couple of weeks. Where are you located?
My phone is 516 782 6184, call anytime.
Regards, Harv

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

If you're looking as far as the west coast, have a look at mine too. It's in Vancouver, BC and in really good shape.

sailfreedom25@yahoo.ca

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

Dear Yarrow,

I think the first thing to decide is whether you care about the two biggest options: round- vs. wing-mast, and inboard vs. outboard. If you haven't already found the F25 manuals on this forum, download them and study them. Many of these boats will have a staysail in addition to the baseline chute plus main. Other options included a table that could mount either in the cabin or the cockpit.

A common complaint is the difficulty of raising the main; it seems that this usually has to do with some combination of issues with the mainmast track (eg rivets have got loose) and/or the reefing lines not running freely enough through the boom. The outhaul may also run through the boom. Check this area for nests if the boat has been unused for any length of time.

On boats this age, there are usually at least a few deck fittings through which water has begun to migrate. Same goes for ports and hatches. Plan on needing to re-bed these. Any place you see cracking in the gelcoat, there is a good chance water has migrated inside. If the area is not soft, you may get away with just a gelcoat repair. Otherwise, your may be looking at core replacement.

I don't believe most of these boats were delivered with a barrier coat between the bottom paint and the hull, so unless one has been added, there is a chance of hull blistering.

Check all of the blocks and the running rigging, some of which may have 20+ years of UV exposure.

The electrical system is pretty simple. Some of the F25's have a second battery, and depending on the motor configuration, there could be a starter circuit. Otherwise, it's just the lights and whatever instruments you have.

Groco changed their head design in something like 1985, so if you are looking at a boat older than this, you may still have the old one unless it was rebuilt, in which case it will have been upgraded as the parts are no longer available. The "new" one is called the "HF."

Maybe it goes without saying, but I think it is definitely worth hiring a marine surveyor as well for any boat you are reasonably serious about, and going for a test sail with the surveyor and the seller.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

to the form,
thanx for all your help, the boat I'm looking at is a 82 winged mast with inboard. the boat has been sailed weekly by owner and comes with some spars. last summer I looked at 2 round mast F25 and brought a good friend who inspects and does alot of work on boats. I got a good look of how he surveys boats and what he looks for.
cheers,
yarrow
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

Further items to look at on F-25:
The gooseneck fasteners may be loose. On the wingmast, the lower bearing (automotive-type tapered roller bearing) may be in bad shape. The upper bearing may be missing, but can be replaced easily with teflon (~ 1/10") sheet. A mast boot can be replaced with a Fernco 6" to 6" plumbing fitting (inexpensive; not "marine").
The outhaul slide for the mainsail may be missing.
Check the rearmost keel bolt for leakage. Check the handrails at the cabintop for leakage.
Side port glazing may be crazed, even cracked, needing replacement.
Having an outboard (vs. inboard) engine is neat if you live in an area where you don't leave the boat in the water year-round. I always brought it home to a dry and warm place.
Also, the space that an inboard engine occupies is very valuable to store stuff (including the optional table mentioned previously) and a decent-size tool box or a cooler box.
The wing-mast is much better going to windward than the round mast. Round mast owners have gotten around this with a blade staysail to aid beating.
Look for leaking in the cabin from where the deck meets the hull topsides. The manufacturer drilled alignment holes, did not put a bolt in these holes, and the sealant used (under the teak toerail) eventually deteriorates.
If a spinnaker-equipped boat, the plastic sleeve inside gunmount tube may be missing.
I supported the spinnaker yard (when stowed) using a rubber "Forespar" support on the port-side stanchion.
I replaced the pitifully small bow chocks with bigger ones.
I also put a Nicro day-night power vent in the head's overhead.
Good luck with your search, the wingmast ('82) that I owned was a real fun boat, and in some sense, a giant killer in heavy air racing.

harv17

Post by harv17 »

With all the problems that exist with an inboard engine as this thread indicates you would think that the preffered engine for an F-25 would definately be an OUTBOARD engne. So much work for maintaning an inboard. Plus of course the expence. My outboard engine is the easiest engine to maintain. There are so many places that can fix an outboard for very little money compared to the expence of a DIESEL expert. I agree that it's so easy to take home and store in a warm place. Just my opinion after 10 years.
Harv S/V Invicta II F-25 :lol: :lol: :D

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

My reason for wanting an inboard diesel, is I intend to use this boat for cruising more then racing. and the milage and easy of use for long term use and in varying conditions is a bonus, and the ability to make power for electrical equip is nice as well. from what I hear the yanmar is a easy motor to work on is gets great milage. thanx for your feedback and I look forward to hearing more.
cheers,
yarrow
95' B3 I-14
providence RI