F36 Single line reefing reefing question

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
plolic

F36 Single line reefing reefing question

Post by plolic »

I have the original single line reefing on my F36. How high above the boom do you stop the reefing line so that the forward hook works as intended? My main sail also has 3-4 cringles between the luff and the leech, but i guess these are useless since you can not use them to tie the lower part of the sail around the boom having to have the luff and leech cringle some height above the boom.

plolic

Re: F36 Single line reefing reefing question

Post by plolic »

Since nobody is replying on my query below I'll refrase it somewhat.
Are you happy with the single line reefing on your F36 and do you find it easy to employ when required? Is there too much friction with a single line bending over 6 places before leading to the winch? Do the reefing hooks stay in place and not jump off the cringles? How far above the boom is the cringle when you secure the reef? It is obviously impractical to pull it all the way to the boom. Any suggestions and/r pointers on F36 reefing is appreciated.

Petar

Hans

Post by Hans »

I have a 38ft hull# 120, don't know whether this has the same 'one line' reefingsystem as your 36. Mine has a Isomat boom one line reefing with blocks inside the boom.
Reefing is not a problem. I have the reefing lines permanently attached to the reef eyes in the luff of the sail with a bowknot. When reefing the luff reef eye comes down to the
deadeye fixed on the mast where reefline goes through. Just as the leech reef eye goes down onto the boom ( vang needs to be released ).
I am very keen on this because this gives me control over the shape of the reefed main, which I want to be as flat as possible esp beating to windward.
In order to achieve this you really need to winch the reefline in while main is spilling the wind as much as possible.
Do I like the one line reefing? Yes, main drawback is that the amount of sailarea you can reduce is limited by the boomlength. For deepreefing( 3 reef) I have a different line.

I never have the reefed mainsail fixed above the dead eye on the mast or above the boom.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

I am quite satisfied with my single line system which is the same as you describe with one exception. I have added links between the block at the forward end of the sail and the hook so that the block goes down into the space between the sheave on the boom and the hole where the reef line goes into the boom. This removes one 180 degree turn from the system and one block reducing friction quite a bit. I'm thinking of putting a block on the leech to remove still more friction.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

JimD

Post by JimD »

I have a reef system that has single lines for the first and second reef (no blocks in the boom). It's a lot of line. I have carbo blocks at both the luff and leech which cuts down on the friction making is easy to put in a reef. I think that Geoff had an issue with all the line. I have a UK Lazy Cradle and the line drops into the cover or is thrown in. I had this arrangement for several years and have been happy with it.

Carbo blocks in the luff and leech will also reduce the wear points where the reef line used to go through the cringle.

Jim Demerest
F36/38
Lady of Remes

plolic

Post by plolic »

wcwcwc wrote:I am quite satisfied with my single line system which is the same as you describe with one exception. I have added links between the block at the forward end of the sail and the hook so that the block goes down into the space between the sheave on the boom and the hole where the reef line goes into the boom. This removes one 180 degree turn from the system and one block reducing friction quite a bit. I'm thinking of putting a block on the leech to remove still more friction.
Hi, attached is the setup I have as per original owner's manual. I do not understand what do you mean by "I have added links between the block at the forward end of the sail and the hook" what sort of te link?
Attachments
Reefing setup query.pdf
(25.7 KiB) Downloaded 716 times

dwight

Post by dwight »

I had no problem pulling the single reef line on my F36. No blocks on the sail. The line was dead ended by tying around the boom, then led through the reef clew grommet and back to the sheave at the end of the boom. I twas led forward to the shuttle block and then dead ended at the end of the boom. The forward section dead ended at the reef tack grommet led through the fairlead to one side of the gooseneck, down to a block on the mast collar, and back up to one of the sheaves at the forward end of the boom. After passing through the forward end of the shuttle block it exited the boom at the forward end, down to a second block on the mast collar and back to the cockpit. I carried both reef lines rigged all the time and typically reefed at 23 kts and 35 kts.

The only problem occurred with a flying gybe when the old semi-rotted reef line parted (my fault).
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

The rig you show on the pdf you attached is just what I have, except for having changed over to a rigid vang. On the pdf you asked how much. When reefed the answer is just about zero when reefed as the links I added between the block (the one at the top of your how much question) and the hook lets that block go down to the level of the boom. A picture being worth a thousand words take a look at the attached which shows what it looks like when reefed. I don't have access to the boat right now so I can't give you the length of the link (can't even remember what it's made of) but you should not use my dimension anyway. Measure your own setup which will take into account the height of the stack of sail reefed. One additional nice thing about this is that you can slack the halyard, pull the reef line in and then which it as tight as you need to to get the shape of sail you want without worrying that you are going to pull the cringle out of the sail at the mast end. Then you tighten the halyard for to the tension you want. You do, as always, need to release the vang before starting this.
Attachments
SCAN5140_000.pdf
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

plolic

Post by plolic »

Bill

Thank you for clarifying this for me. I do understand it now. I guess I will have to do some playing and adjustments on mine to achieve this effectively. I keep on fiddling with the idea of getting the rigid vang for my boat. Previous owner damaged the dodger by dropping the boom on it few times when forgot to tighten the lazy jacks prior droppping main sail...

Petar