Getting a Lab into and out of a dinghy

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
cmillsnj10

Getting a Lab into and out of a dinghy

Post by cmillsnj10 »

We sail a Hoyt 32 and have previously coastal cruised for up to 6 weeks in a summer (from CT to ME) with a cat or cats. Now we have a Labrador that my wife seriously wants to take along. Getting the dog into and out of an inflatable dinghy for a trip to land seems like a challenge that others must have faced. I see other boats with swim platforms doing it easily, but the Hoyt 32 doesn't have one. We don't have davits such that we could raise and lower the dog with a sling (would that really work?). Are there slope boards or other possibilities that people have tried?

Craig

Re: Getting a Lab into and out of a dinghy

Post by Craig »

Dogramp.
They sell them to get dogs into SUVs. I used it to get my standard poodles (50-70 pounds) onto my Freedom 36. Even after getting the swim platform and making it a 38, they still went up the ramp.

CrazyRU

Post by CrazyRU »

Did you try to take your dog out already?
The dog may not need anything. I think my freeboard is about as high as on F32. I paddle inflatable kayak. My dog, 55 lbs active mutt, jumps in and out with ease and he is a lot more agile than me around boats.
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard

Rosemary Wright

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Hi, Craig.... I'm the wife mentioned in the post looking for advice. Do you mind sharing what particular ramp do you use, where you obtained it, and how you use it? The dog in question doesn't like the lack of traction and small space at the side gate of the Hoyt 32, and the stern is out of the question.... Thanks in advance, Rosemary Wright