Freedom 40 rig

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
floridian

Freedom 40 rig

Post by floridian »

I am looking for a Freedom 40 cat ketch . I looked at a beautiful aft cockpit boat in Jacksonville, Fl that had CF mast and booms rather than wishbones.
She was not for sale at this time but it it made me think to ask what the best set up would be, wishbones or booms and what the trade offs may be.

The only other 40 for sale in Fl has AL spars with wishbones and has been modified to set a jib on a long A-frame bowsprit. She also has
a hard top shelter over the center cockpit. You like the shelter or you don't, but how about the jib ?

Thanks

THATBOATGUY

Re: Freedom 40 rig

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Marquesa has aluminum spars and isomat booms with jiffy reefing. The sails are on strongtrack and full baton sails. I've built a lazy jack system that is incorporated into the sail packs I had made for her and all that works perfectly. Her awning is of welded aluminum tubing with canvas stretched over it. The enclosure is zippered isinglass and we have a second set of screen panels (22 in all) that replace the glass in buggy areas. For going to windward... well... we carry 200 gallons of fuel. ;)

Just back from a 6 month shake down and we are very pleased with nearly everything about the way we are set up. I have 4 months to correct the shortcomings before we head back out.

Lots of photos on the blog.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage