freedom 21 full fin keel vs shallow draft version

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Lans Stout

freedom 21 full fin keel vs shallow draft version

Post by Lans Stout »

On the Freedom 21, Is the fin keel what was meant to be, did they mess with a good thing when attempting the shallow draft version...florida skinny waters...the trade off...the fin keel very deep for it's size, but boy is it stable, fast & blue water inclined...I'd appreciate any advice between the two...thank you, Lans

Teke's Pride

Re: freedom 21 full fin keel vs shallow draft version

Post by Teke's Pride »

I have had my Shoal Draft F21 for about 4 years now. I really like the ability to get into shallow coves and at 2' of draft it is no problem to jump out and push her off of a mud bank. You are right though, there is a trade off...

One must reef earlier in the SD. When the boat heals past 15 degrees the keel is shadowed by the hull and the leeway is multiplied.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

Lans Stout

Re: freedom 21 full fin keel vs shallow draft version

Post by Lans Stout »

thank you so much for the reply...I had a 21, sold her, now rethinking that decision...I had a depth/fish-finder on the transom...when coming up on shoal mud banks she spun on her long fin keel so quick you could retrace your tac and be back to deeper waters...the cockpit is amzazing for a 21...2-couples on a sunset sail with a few beers, for simplicity, and ease of being underway from the dock, is something I think I took for granted...when going from mayport/jacksonville to St Augustine on the outside, the deeper keel just felt like you had a small craft that could handle the bigger seas and winds...again thank you for the input! Lans