Freedom 28

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
crazytatoogirl

Freedom 28

Post by crazytatoogirl »

Hello everyone, I bought myself a 1982 Freedom 28 ck last fall, and she's about to go in the water. She's not my first boat, but is my first sailboat. I will be sailing in eastern Lake Ontario. All the info, tricks, and warnings anyone has would be great to hear!

1980raven

Re: Freedom 28

Post by 1980raven »

Welcome, We purchased an F28CK centerboard, & wishbone booms in 2010 (my first boat) and after extensive restoration and refit we finally got her launched in early June. My wife & I had a wonderful summer sailing Raven here on Narragansett Bay over 60 times between launch and our last sail on December 7th. If you have any questions about my restoration experience just PM me. If you search this forum you will find a wealth of information about Freedoms. Fair winds, Art
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

AdvenJack

Post by AdvenJack »

C T G, Best wishes for your enjoyment of your 28!

With a handle of crazytatoogirl and no pictures nor video of your
tattoos is a violation of code, please correct that without delay! :mrgreen:
Jack

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Welcome. You have a great boat and came to the right place! I have a CK33, very similar just a little bigger. How is yours rigged? wishbooms, regular booms, and I agree, with AdvenJack.....PICTURES!!
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

VeloFellow

Freedom 28 staysail

Post by VeloFellow »

I really enjoy setting the staysail. It is especially nice to have 6-10mph wind range for a great boost. The previous owner set usp some running stays. I just have to remember to load them up.

Anyone develop a quick tack strategy with your staysail? That is its only down side.
Currently I drop the sail move the halyard tack replace the halyard and raise. I am only using a single sheet so I move it as well.
DSCN2507sm.jpg
DSCN2507sm.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

crazytatoogirl

Post by crazytatoogirl »

Wow...I haven't been on here in a while!

I spent last summer rehabilitating after knee reconstruction, and only sailed her once in very fair winds. not much more luck this year with a move and a still sore knee. The weather hasn't been the kindest this season on Lake Ontario either.

She is the original set up...carbon fibre masts with wish bones and wrap around sails. A few seasoned sailors came out with me this year and were quite lost.....good thing I was laying around all last summer reading up and figuring out what all the lines do!

I tried uploading a video and some pictures...but this forum won't allow it. Everything all in one...the boat, the tattoos, and the Newfie accent!

crazytatoogirl

Post by crazytatoogirl »

OK...managed with the pics, no video tho. This is a sail in her last weekend...first time "on my own"....or without experts there to guide me. Just the boyfriend who has never sailed before.
Attachments
Boat2.jpg
Boat2.jpg (75.34 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
Me2.jpg
Me2.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 7437 times

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

Good to see you on the water! CTTG!

Nice photos. Video would be cool.

Hope you can get some more sails in.
Mike