Fist time sailing a Freedom

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Belanich

Fist time sailing a Freedom

Post by Belanich »

In two weeks Dolcetto (F38) is finally launched! This will be the first time that I have sailed her or any Freedom. I hope to have the mast stepped and leave it up for many years. I replaced the jib sheave, halyards, topping lift, lazy jacks, masthead and steaming/foredeck lights (LED), windex and some wiring. Before this mast goes up is there anything else I should check? Also before I sail her from Huntington to Mt Sinai for the first time is there any peculiarity about the rig (cat sloop, camberspar) that I should know?
Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto F38 #65

tnltracy

Re: Fist time sailing a Freedom

Post by tnltracy »

Regarding first time sailing a Freedom, get ready to wonder why the hell you ever ground a winch before besides to raise a sail. Still remember my first sail on a 1990 F35 (Hull #1). I bought my Freedom 32 months later...
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

On many Freedoms, the mast fit around the mast step is a bit loose - permitting the base of the mast to move back and forth when you tack in a breeze or seaway, or when the boat rocks back and forth at anchor. My guess the movement does not do harm, but the sound can be quite atrocious. We fixed the problem on our F30 by adding shims to the sides of the step. As we prepare for moving aboard and retirement cruising next year, we will be doing the same to our F38. There has been quite a bit written about the issue on this board and it is worth researching.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Sailmon,
Underneath the clamping ring on the mast there is a plastic tapered blue ring. It looks like it was poured in place when originally installed. I assume this is there to prevent mast movement - maybe spartite?
Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto F38 #65

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

I ran a little bit of glass around tophat, this made a very tight fit between mast and tophat (mast step). Hasnt moved in 20,000nm. Also , cable ties around wiring will quiet down wire slapping in mast.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Blue wedge at partners might be original polyurethane compression ring and its purpose is to secure mast and prevent movement at the deck - which takes the entire mast load in the absence of standing rigging. Some owners have replaced it with spartite. I don't have any experience with it (still using original ring) but have heard good reviews. As Dale noted, the movement I was referring to is down below at the top hat. I may try the fiberglass wrap this time around. Dale - did you need to put in a vertical groove or leave gap in the wrap so rain water could drain out of the mast into the bilge?
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi, I didn't leave a gap, but not a bad idea. The water seems to get out ok. I used spartite, haven't had a problem.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW
I just used the spartite on my F32. There was a small gap and it filled it up well. Haven't had it under load yet. The mast was definitely wallowing around without it. I did not have the original wedges that came with the boat. Kinda messy. cleaned up pretty well with alcohol. I am hoping this stops the leaks and holds the mast well. Used a lot of tape. Placed wedges at bottom of cabin roof from inside AFTER I had made a clay rope (provided) to block the flow out the bottom and inserted from the bottom. I held the wedges in place with tape and used a lot of tape to help prevent leaks down the mast after pouring. It skimmed over really pretty quickly. Watch the YouTube instructions (and read). The prep time is a lot. The actual time of pouring is over in a few moments. I had a hard time trying to get vaseline down between the mast and cabin top. Maybe I messed up but used spray lube (oil) to give it a generous spraying to try to prevent sticking (as the vaseline is to do). Maybe messed up. I hope not. Best.